Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

speaker set up

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C054Z is an unknown quantity at this point
speaker set up

so I just got my civic a few days ago and have been wanting to upgrade the speakers and add a sub or two.
I already installed a nice deck, but wondering about the speakers.

I plan on getting Alpine Type R subs, either 2 12"s or maybe 2 10"s ( I love bass but don't want super overpowering bass)

any suggestions on the front and rear speakers? Might be doing an all alpine thing but any suggestions welcome

oh by the way its an 01 civic ex

Last edited by C054Z; 09-13-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: speaker set up

infinity is nice, so is alpine. 10s give you crisp pumchy bass, 12s are more boomy and low for rap.
Old 09-14-2009
Registered!!

vsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond repute

As gearbox says, your 10s are much more crisp and responsive. Great for my favorite types of music; Rock and Metal

If you're planning on two subs, you'll want to also amp the door speakers so you don't get overpowering bass. Or you can use your deck to just lower the bass levels down... For the door speakers, there are a lot of great brands out there, I had some JLs in my last truck that I really enjoyed. Pretty well anything is an improvement (Except for maybe Sony...)
Old 09-14-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I've said this many times, the subwoofer type/amount/power/anything else is not as important as the amplifier you're using to push them. Garbage power in = garbage power out, I've seen a single 12 outperform 2 15s because of the way they were installed. If I were you, I'd get:
- 2 twelves = never
- 1 twelve = to save space
- 2 tens = first pick
- 1 ten = if you don't listen to rap

So get a good amp and pick your sub(s) later. Also, watch the depth of any speakers you get, the doors and rear deck lid are notoriously shallow and don't seem to support anything other than some of the Alpines.
Old 09-14-2009
Registered!!

hm so If I were to get two alpine type r 10s what would be the best amp to power them with?
Old 09-14-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

You'd need a subwoofer with the correct RMS rating matching the subwoofers and preferably something that could be wired up to a lower ohm rating, maybe 2 ohms if the subwoofers can handle it. Make sure it's a D class amplifier as many of the cheaper Sonys can be A/B class which is why they sound like trash. Go with a good Alpine/Phoenix Gold/Rockford Fosgate/Fusion amp. I'd be worried about buying an amp from any company that strays far enough from audio electronics that you see their name on something like a television.
Old 09-14-2009
Registered!!

bmac9269 is an unknown quantity at this point

if ur gunna do 2 ten type Rs go with either the alpine mrp m1000 or for alot more money but drop down to 1 ohm go with the fosgate p1000
Old 09-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

one ten is usually more than enough for most people. just spend some time on the install and it will sound great.
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

vsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond reputevsTerminus has a reputation beyond repute

I ran a single 10" for years with the door speakers powered by the head unit. That was plenty for listening inside the vehicle and sounded great too.
Especially when you experiment with enclosure types.

The only reason I upgraded (second sub, bigger amp, amped the door speakers, etc) was because I moved to a civic (from my F-150 truck) and use my car to listen to music outdoors at campgrounds, etc where the volume has to be loud enough to hear ~50-100ft away clearly.
Old 09-16-2009
Registered!!

Yeah I used to have 2 12's which I loved bass but felt it was a little too muchI've heard just one 12 and felt it wasn't enough. I think 2 10s would be good for the sound to be balanced and to fulfill my somewhat bass needs

any suggestions on the 4 inside speakers? planning on picking some up this weekend
Old 09-16-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by C054Z
Yeah I used to have 2 12's which I loved bass but felt it was a little too muchI've heard just one 12 and felt it wasn't enough. I think 2 10s would be good for the sound to be balanced and to fulfill my somewhat bass needs

any suggestions on the 4 inside speakers? planning on picking some up this weekend
Mounting depth is important, a lot of speakers don't fit in our cars.