Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   speaker set up (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/321451-speaker-set-up.html)

C054Z 09-13-2009 03:52 PM

speaker set up

so I just got my civic a few days ago and have been wanting to upgrade the speakers and add a sub or two.
I already installed a nice deck, but wondering about the speakers.

I plan on getting Alpine Type R subs, either 2 12"s or maybe 2 10"s ( I love bass but don't want super overpowering bass)

any suggestions on the front and rear speakers? Might be doing an all alpine thing but any suggestions welcome :cool:

oh by the way its an 01 civic ex

gearbox 09-13-2009 04:36 PM

Re: speaker set up

infinity is nice, so is alpine. 10s give you crisp pumchy bass, 12s are more boomy and low for rap.

vsTerminus 09-14-2009 12:09 AM

As gearbox says, your 10s are much more crisp and responsive. Great for my favorite types of music; Rock and Metal :D

If you're planning on two subs, you'll want to also amp the door speakers so you don't get overpowering bass. Or you can use your deck to just lower the bass levels down... For the door speakers, there are a lot of great brands out there, I had some JLs in my last truck that I really enjoyed. Pretty well anything is an improvement (Except for maybe Sony...)

DeX 09-14-2009 10:08 AM

I've said this many times, the subwoofer type/amount/power/anything else is not as important as the amplifier you're using to push them. Garbage power in = garbage power out, I've seen a single 12 outperform 2 15s because of the way they were installed. If I were you, I'd get:
- 2 twelves = never
- 1 twelve = to save space
- 2 tens = first pick
- 1 ten = if you don't listen to rap

So get a good amp and pick your sub(s) later. Also, watch the depth of any speakers you get, the doors and rear deck lid are notoriously shallow and don't seem to support anything other than some of the Alpines.

C054Z 09-14-2009 12:10 PM

hm so If I were to get two alpine type r 10s what would be the best amp to power them with?

DeX 09-14-2009 01:39 PM

You'd need a subwoofer with the correct RMS rating matching the subwoofers and preferably something that could be wired up to a lower ohm rating, maybe 2 ohms if the subwoofers can handle it. Make sure it's a D class amplifier as many of the cheaper Sonys can be A/B class which is why they sound like trash. Go with a good Alpine/Phoenix Gold/Rockford Fosgate/Fusion amp. I'd be worried about buying an amp from any company that strays far enough from audio electronics that you see their name on something like a television.

bmac9269 09-14-2009 09:43 PM

if ur gunna do 2 ten type Rs go with either the alpine mrp m1000 or for alot more money but drop down to 1 ohm go with the fosgate p1000

gearbox 09-14-2009 10:28 PM

one ten is usually more than enough for most people. just spend some time on the install and it will sound great.

vsTerminus 09-15-2009 10:52 AM

I ran a single 10" for years with the door speakers powered by the head unit. That was plenty for listening inside the vehicle and sounded great too.
Especially when you experiment with enclosure types.

The only reason I upgraded (second sub, bigger amp, amped the door speakers, etc) was because I moved to a civic (from my F-150 truck) and use my car to listen to music outdoors at campgrounds, etc where the volume has to be loud enough to hear ~50-100ft away clearly.

C054Z 09-16-2009 12:48 AM

Yeah I used to have 2 12's which I loved bass but felt it was a little too muchI've heard just one 12 and felt it wasn't enough. I think 2 10s would be good for the sound to be balanced and to fulfill my somewhat bass needs

any suggestions on the 4 inside speakers? planning on picking some up this weekend

DeX 09-16-2009 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by C054Z (Post 4435514)
Yeah I used to have 2 12's which I loved bass but felt it was a little too muchI've heard just one 12 and felt it wasn't enough. I think 2 10s would be good for the sound to be balanced and to fulfill my somewhat bass needs

any suggestions on the 4 inside speakers? planning on picking some up this weekend

Mounting depth is important, a lot of speakers don't fit in our cars.