Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

amp fuse keeps blowing out

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wallabee09 is an unknown quantity at this point
amp fuse keeps blowing out

when i got the car everything was hooked up the way it should've been. the only issue is the fuse keeps blowing in the amp to my sub. no wires are crossing nothings loose. i've even changed from the 20-30 but went back to 20 not trying to blow the amp out. it started to work a lil then blew out and i've been going back and forth. theres no shortage anywhere to be found. now when i replace the fuse and turn the car on it'll pop automatically and not even work. i've messed with the settings and thats not helping either...

any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: amp fuse keeps blowing out

replacing a fuse with a larger one is just begging to create an electrical fire. fuses are sized based on the wire size. putting a larger fuse in will allow more current to flow through the wire than it can handle. it will get hot and possibly catch fire. fuses are there to protect the system when there's a problem. if the fuse blew, you have a problem. if it blew multiple times, then you definitely have a problem. for a fuse to blow, power has to get shorted to ground. so somewhere, you have a wire or component that is shorting out.

that said, if the fuse that's blowing is the one on the amp, your amp is likely bad. if its the fuse on the battery, then you've got a wire shorted somewhere. if it's the battery fuse, try swapping out with another amp. if the fuse doesn't blow, then your amp is bad. if it does, you have a wiring problem somewhere. try that first then report back and i'll help more if needed.
Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wallabee09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: amp fuse keeps blowing out

alrighty appreciate it i'll be looking into that today.