Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Turn Signals.. or lack of.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Turn Signals.. or lack of.

Alright. Here's the situation.
I installed a hyperblinker relay (Yeahhhhhhhh I know, rice. You don't have to tell me) about five years ago and everything has worked out just fine. UNTIL the other day... *dun dun dun*

I'm very electrical savy but as of right now I'm torn between an idea and having no ideas whatsoever.

About a month ago, I hit a deer with my car and it broke my driver's side headlight. Because the relay was modified to "think" a bulb was burnt out (Hence, why it blinks faster) and then really having a burn out bulb, the relay clicked (light blinked) REALLY REALLY REALLY fast. I think that may have burnt out the relay to a point.

Everything on the vehicle is fixed now however my turn signals will only work for a little bit. And it happens very randomly. I'll push the turn signal lever up or down, the lights will blink at the "hyper blink" speed, then just shut off. The lever still stays up/down but the light stops signalling.

In all my days of installing, I've seen lots of relays go bad, but I've never seen one go "half bad." It either works, or doesn't work. But I don't want to replace the relay since it's $30 if you guys think it might be something else. And I'm more than willing to get a regular relay and say goodbye to the hyperblinker as over the last couple months, I've been finding it annoying. I'm suprised it's taken me five years to think it's annoying but oh well..
Anyway, what are your opinions?
Old 12-14-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Turn Signals.. or lack of.

I'd say start with a standard Bosch relay or DEI 451m-style door lock relay and bypass your existing, potentially bad one for now. See if that at least gets everything up and running. At that point your options would be decide if that's acceptable as is or look at getting replacement parts for whatever is bad.

If you bypass the existing relay and have the same issues, well then you have to start looking somewhere else I suppose.
Old 12-14-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well yea ive had relays stick before, either in on or off position so its possible it got damaged.
Old 12-14-2007
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road

Ha I think I have like 20000000000 of those 451Ms in my toolbox so I guess I could spare one.
Ahh what a way to spend my day off tomorrow.. working on cars.. again. lol