Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

egay fog question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jrock will become famous soon enoughjrock will become famous soon enough
egay fog question

I searched and searched and I am not finding the answers I am looking for. I am wondering what is the differance in looks between these differant fog lenses. Yellow, Clear, Blue, and Ion. Obviously the yellow produces a yellow light, but what type of light is output from the ion lens. I have an eternal blue peal coupe and was thinking that the blue lens would look the best astheticly, while the yellow would produce the most efficient light output for driving...correct?

Thanks for the input!
-Jeremy
Old 12-09-2007
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: egay fog question

the yellows have yellow lenses, the the clear have clear lenses, the ions are clear lenses with a blue tint. They dont really output too much different from clear. Feel free to correct me if im wrong.
Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

so if I got the clear ones with a yellow bulb would the light output be the same as if I got the yellow lens with yellow bulb?

What color does the blue lens output?.....not blue right? (I feel stupid for asking)
Old 12-09-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its always brighter to use a clear bulb behind a tinted lens. using yellow lens, the output will be less than clear since some light is filtered out. using ion lens, its a yellow/blue combo and produces a "weathervision" type color which is yellower than stock clear, but not as yellow as the yellow lens. the blue lens produces a super white beam with small blue tint, and will prolly be the dimmest output.

estimated color temps

clear lens 3400K
ion lens 3000K
yellow lens 2500K
blue lens 3800K
Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

what is everyones preference here?
thanks gearbox for the detailed response!
Old 12-09-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think clear lens looks best. and with a yellow h11 bulb, it looks pretty nice and bright. the only bad thing ive heard about ebay fogs is the lens breaking due to it being thin glass (either from rocks hitting it or from temp changes like spraying them at the car wash with the bulbs on). i think the oems are polycarbonate which resist breakage much better. just be careful.

heres old pic of yellow bulb in clear lens (hid in main headlight)

Last edited by gearbox; 12-09-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2007
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

electric130 has HID fogs i believe. theyre my favorite but i believe he had to retro fit them and used something called blazer projector fogs? i havent been able to find those. but for weather related purposes, yellow is best.
Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

I like that clear with yellow bulb look...
Old 12-09-2007
Premium Member

or you could retro in the bmw aftermarket projectors. more light than oem by far.

Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

I can't decide between clear and ion
Old 12-09-2007
Premium Member

just get clear. if you want ion look, they sell ion coated bulbs

heres the yellow again from another member ride

Last edited by gearbox; 12-09-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Envy
electric130 has HID fogs i believe. theyre my favorite but i believe he had to retro fit them and used something called blazer projector fogs? i havent been able to find those. but for weather related purposes, yellow is best.
yes i do have HID fogs in 4300k temp. i bought the blazer fogs off ebay, then bought a PNP 800 series (880, 881, 893, 894, etc, they all have the same base) HID kit. since the fogs were 894 bulbs, the kit fit perfectly. it wasn't a retro in terms of having to modify anything. everything was a direct fit.

now i know everyone says yellow is best for weather, but i argue that's a matter of personal preference. i've had yellow and clear fogs. i've driven in heavy dense fog and extremely heavy rains, and downfalls of snow. in ALL cases, i prefer white light over yellow. more to that effect, i prefer HID light (low kelvin like 4300k) over halogen. again, this is MY PREFERENCE. this is not a statement of fact of which is better. but after driving for 13 years and having 7 different types of fog light, 4300k HID is what i feel is the best.

yeah, you look at comparison charts and yellow light provides more contrast than white light, but for me, when it comes down to driving at night, more light is always better. IF i was to get a yellow fog light system, i'd get the blazer fogs i have now, but with the yellow tinted lens, and get a 3000k HID kit. that would be the ultimate yellow fog setup IMO.

sorry jrock, just realized that NONE of this had anything to do with your OP, but hopefully it was helpful in some way.
Old 12-10-2007
Registered!!

its cool man...I like reading up and learning more and more...why not. I think I am going to get the clear lens and just get a good bulb to put in there...I don't want to deal with burning, fading, film burning etc..... I clear lens and a nice bulb will be sufficient! Or maybe that blue lens just for the way it would look with my eternal blue coupe....
Old 12-10-2007
Premium Member

yeah i never understood the yellow thing. if you want it for looks go for it. but its less light compared to white. there is nothing magical about yellow, it does not cut through bad weather any better than other colors, and it certainly does not reduce scattering. you can argue that the human eye is more sensitive to green/yellow light (meaning given a row of different colored lights at the same intensity, you would pick the yellow and green lights as being brightest). but since you are using a yellow filter to create the yellow, it will cut down the lumen output. your eye perceives it as being brighter, which is why most people will say white and yellow look the same as far as visibility. having driven with both, there is no comparison. white is a ton brighter.

so back to your post, if you want the ultimate white clear setup, get the clear fogs and some H9 65w bulbs instead of the stock 50w H11. that will give you 2100 lumen output per bulb instead of the h11 only 1200 lumen. and the mod is very easy, you just have to file off one of the metal tabs on the H9 bulb to fit the housing.

Last edited by gearbox; 12-10-2007 at 01:54 PM.