Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

amp problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mike21190 is an unknown quantity at this point
amp problem

recently my sub hasnt been working. i checked all the wires from the battery to the amp and there all fine. however, the amp isn't getting power(the red light on top isnt going on) its not a fuse because i slammed the hood while someone was looking at it and the power light went on for a second then went back out. idk what it could be any help would be appreciated
Old 06-19-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
Re: amp problem

how are the grounds? do they all have proper contact? is the remote wire connected properly?
Old 06-19-2007
Registered!!

the grounds have good contact, i was thinking about sanding the paint where its grounded too. the remote wire is good
Old 06-19-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough

ya, you should do that just in case. I just took an old flathead screwdriver and just scratched off the paint and then i just sanded the paint off
Old 06-20-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mike21190
its not a fuse because i slammed the hood while someone was looking at it and the power light went on for a second then went back out.
sounds like you've got a bad connection under the hood somewhere. depending on the type of fuse holder you have, could be a loose wire there or corrosion on the battery, or something. i'd remove, check and reinstall all the connections under the hood.
Old 06-20-2007
Registered!!

alright thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2007
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold

If your fuse holder has screw sets, check those first. That is likely the culprit, as they vibrate and loosen sometimes. If necessary (and you have some slack in the wire) pull back enough where you can cut the ends off of the wire and re-strip a new section of wire to go into the screw sets. Check for corrosion as well. If it's corroding, you might want to find the culprit (might be a cracked fuse holder allowing moisture to get in or something of that ilk). Replace the necessary parts. You could possibly find a marine grade audio fuse holder to use.

From there, check your connection on the battery. Look for signs of corrosion. Again, if necessary (corrosion has eaten away at the connection) cut the corroded part off, or even swap that piece of wire out for a new one. I've never used it in an audio application as I've never had corrosion problems, but you might want to try some dielectric grease around the connection to protect it. I'd also recommend switching to gold plated connectors if you don't already have them on there, as they resist corrosion better. Clean the battery post, terminal, etc to remove all corrosion. The reconnect the wire.

It is almost 100% one of those two problems, as it came on when you slammed the hood. Another culprit could be that the wire has rubbed a naked spot and is grounding out, but that would blow a fuse, and you said the fuse is good, so that's not it. I'd bet it's one of the two problems I stated above, but it could be somewhere else. Doubtful, but possible. I'm still betting it's under the hood though.
Old 06-20-2007
Registered!!

thanks for the help. i went to my local car audio store cause im friends with the guy and he said the amp is shot. so im going tomorrow to pick up the new one because its still under warranty. if that still doesn't help it ill check the fuse more. thanks for telling me what to look for
Old 06-20-2007
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

speaking of the set screws, if you have those, restrip them like mentioned if there's corrosion. either way, if they did come loose, a little blue loctite (DO NOT use the red kind, only blue) on the threads will prevent them from coming out again. it only takes a tiny, tiny dab. get the smallest tube you can find. it doesn't take much. i can't stress that enough.
Old 06-20-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by mike21190
thanks for the help. i went to my local car audio store cause im friends with the guy and he said the amp is shot. so im going tomorrow to pick up the new one because its still under warranty. if that still doesn't help it ill check the fuse more. thanks for telling me what to look for
if it's the amp, the sweet for you. good deal getting a new one for free. while not very common, it would make sense that something came loose inside, or a solder joint broke or something, and by slamming your hood, you made it make contact for a split second. let us know how it turns out.