Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jvaldovi93550 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Issues

I have a 1995 Civic DX, non-VTEC, non ABS with manual transmission.

1. When I have the engine warmed up and the transmission in neutral, if I press the brake, then release the brake quickly, the RPM's increase by 300 RPM, then stabilize. Is this normal? I don't have any rough or wandering idle issues. I recently cleaned the throttle body, used injector cleaner, cleaned the Idle Air Control Valve, replaced the brake booster vacuum hose (aftermarket), replaced the check valve (Honda)for the brake booster vacuum hose, put new front & rear brakes (Honda), put new front rotors (Honda) & turned the rear drums.
2. I hear an occasional screeching sound coming from my front brakes, as if they are worn. However, I put new Honda brakes and new Honda rotors about 2 months ago. I had a brake shop check them and they said they were OK. It only happens at low speeds, when I am coming to a stop or when I am taking off front a stop. I did put grease on my caliper pins when I replaced the brakes. I even put grease inside the rubber grommets. I'm not sure if you're supposed to put grease in the grommets.
Jose
Old 11-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake Issues

if I press the brake, then release the brake quickly, the RPM's increase by 300 RPM, then stabilize. Is this normal?
Normal.

2. I hear an occasional screeching sound coming from my front brakes, as if they are worn. However, I put new Honda brakes and new Honda rotors about 2 months ago. I had a brake shop check them and they said they were OK. It only happens at low speeds, when I am coming to a stop or when I am taking off front a stop. I did put grease on my caliper pins when I replaced the brakes. I even put grease inside the rubber grommets. I'm not sure if you're supposed to put grease in the grommets.
I can't hear anything from here. Backing plate rubbing a rotor?
May not be brakes at all, like a cat heat shield rusting apart?

Petroleum based grease will eventually attack the rubber boots. I use a silicone based grease on the pins and anywhere else it may contact rubber parts.