Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Looking at Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
modularama is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking at Wheel Locks

I'm finding that current offers for the Gorilla System are less expensive for 5 lug than 4 lug... wtf? So if I buy the 5 lug system for my 4 lug wheels then I'll just end up with four spare lugs, but no problems right?

Also I wonder if there's any reason why I should not have Discount Tire install the Gorilla lugs when they mount and balance my wheels. Just curious.
Old 03-27-2010
Registered!!

information should not be trusted
Re: Looking at Wheel Locks

just make sure u get the correct honda thread pitch 12x1.5
Old 03-27-2010
Registered!!

Okay, and what about the lug diameter? I see that there is a "small diameter" version available. That means the regular lugs could be too big for some wheels. So is there a way of looking up the lug hole diameter on custom wheels which I don't physically have yet?
Old 03-29-2010
Registered!!

Apparently that information is not in the specs, but I guess if the holes look small in the pictures then they need small diameter lugs. Also a distributor noted the following about some wheels I was looking at: THESE WHEELS REQUIRE TUNER LUG NUTS. FACTORY LUGS WILL NOT FIT!
Old 04-02-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by modularama
Apparently that information is not in the specs, but I guess if the holes look small in the pictures then they need small diameter lugs. Also a distributor noted the following about some wheels I was looking at: THESE WHEELS REQUIRE TUNER LUG NUTS. FACTORY LUGS WILL NOT FIT!
Basically if you buy aftermarket rims you will need new lug nuts. Some wheels use Tuner style which are small diameter to fit in the lug holes. 12x 1.50 is the standard for most civics, in either tuner style or reg lug nuts you will get that size.
Old 04-03-2010
Registered!!

That's cool. I'm also wondering if anyone has had a problem with their locking lugs being put on by the tire place which mounted their wheels, or a good experience for that matter... would you trust them with your key?
Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

By the way, I did find that the small diameter lugs were lower priced for a set of 16 than 20, but only by a dollar each, so I got the set with 4 extras. I'm kind of glad it worked out like that (since a whole new set might be necessary if one lug gets messed up or lost).

I acquired a torque wrench too, so I can affix the wheels myself, after they are mounted and balanced, because that seems to be a problem area with wheel shops, from what I've read; the "Alloy 2" balance was also recommended on that note.
Old 04-12-2010
Registered!!

arthurmr is an unknown quantity at this point

well if you buy this and they don't take them off you can go to a tire shop where they sell and install tire and ask them if they might have the tool to get them off if not try taking the car to the ford dealer near you and see it they can get you the tool you need not sure if they can ...
Old 04-12-2010
Registered!!

I don't think taking the steel wheels off will be a problem for me, and I was thinking of putting the new ones on myself after they are mounted and balanced to avoid having over tightened lugs or them losing my key or messing it up or whatever else can go wrong there. I know the lugs should be retorqued after rolling a marathon or so, and I found some guides online for installing wheels by the numbers.
Old 04-12-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if I trusted them enough to give them my car keys and vehicle, I'd trust them enough to put the locks on as well.

I'm sure they do it all the time - a lot of newer cars come with locking lugs from the factory.
Old 04-12-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

aftermarket wheels require tuner lug nuts, and its always better to put them on yourself because then you can properly tighten to 80 ft/lbs with a torque wrench. most shop do not have this advanced piece of equipment or do not know how to use it. they just tighten the lug nuts as hard as possible so they break the next time you try to remove it and warp your brake rotors in the process.