Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Brakes for a '94

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotaro is an unknown quantity at this point
Brakes for a '94

I've got a '94 Civic EX and would like more responsive and capable brakes. I recently had a <30mph wreck in the rain (a huge, heavy truck managed to stop faster than me?) and have had issues with my brakes from the start. First, I leak brake fluid. I'm not sure from where, but I notice that it only seems to happen on rides when I make fast turns or redline. If I avoid both, I can go months without losing too much fluid. Next, my brake pedal will often sink to the floor at a stop and I'll start rolling and have to let off and back on the pedal to get the brakes to re-engage. I also have zero faith in my ABS and actually think it causes me to stop slower than what I can achieve by pumping the brakes myself!

I don't know much about brakes.. What exactly would I upgrade? Rotors? Brake pads? What probably needs to be fixed? And how much should I expect to pay for everything?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2009
Registered!!

Gotaro is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Brakes for a '94

Originally Posted by Gotaro
I've got a '94 Civic EX and would like more responsive and capable brakes. I recently had a <30mph wreck in the rain (a huge, heavy truck managed to stop faster than me?) and have had issues with my brakes from the start. First, I leak brake fluid. I'm not sure from where, but I notice that it only seems to happen on rides when I make fast turns or redline. If I avoid both, I can go months without losing too much fluid. Next, my brake pedal will often sink to the floor at a stop and I'll start rolling and have to let off and back on the pedal to get the brakes to re-engage. I also have zero faith in my ABS and actually think it causes me to stop slower than what I can achieve by pumping the brakes myself!

I don't know much about brakes.. What exactly would I upgrade? Rotors? Brake pads? What probably needs to be fixed? And how much should I expect to pay for everything?

Thanks!
Within the last few days, my brakes have started squeaking occasionally, and sometimes I'll even hear the squeak in regular intervals as I'm just driving. ("Squeak..squeak..squeak..squeak..") Hopefully, somebody will be here to answer my post this month.. Lol..
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

slowboyscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Brakes for a '94

I got a set of Brembo slotted sport rotors and a set of hawk street pads for my 99 SI Those things really bite! I was reading about knzautoparts.com and saw where it is the same guys that originally owned coximport. I bought all kinds of things from them back in the day, so I picked them up there. Nice guys, and got my setup in two days, plus they paid the shipping!