Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Brake Rotor Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
back2black is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Rotor Suggestions

I have a wicked little pulsation in the brakes from good ole warped rotors, so I am gonna replace them. I would like to get a set of performance brake rotors. I have been looking at some of the options on Ebay, and man, there alot of them. Anyone have some real world experience based opinions on what to buy or not to buy? I have heard to pick drilled or slotted, not both. Anything/anyone specific to steer away from? I may go ahead and just get some oem replacements, but I would like to improve the braking on the car.
The other thing, how about some experience with ceramic pads? Are they low dust? Believe it or not, the car has the original hubcaps, and the paint is in very good shape on them, so I don't wanna ruin that buy scrubbing off brake dust all the time.

ROb
Old 06-16-2009
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake Rotor Suggestions

Brembo blanks or any ones will do from your local autozone. Stay away from ebay rotors. Ceramic pads are great you want low dust stick to OEM or hawk hps pads. I had EBC green stuff and they were dusty.
Old 06-16-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Get slotted over drilled, drilled looks so ricey these days. And also, nobody talks about this, but the lighter your rotors are, the faster you will get up and go. If you find rotors that are heavier then stock, you'll be a little slower- more rotating mass.
Old 06-16-2009
Registered!!

Where are the Hawk EPS pads available? I would like to use Brembo parts, but they are wicked high in price aren't they? I will have to do more looking and see what I can find. The car isn't souped up or anything...but everyone can use better braking

ROb
Old 06-16-2009
Registered!!

1.7EL_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just from my personal experience stay away from HAWK HPS + Brembo blanks.... the Brembo blanks will warp in less than a year! But don't get me wrong HAWK HPS pads are pretty damn good... just there a bit dusty.

I would recommend HAWK HPS and a performance rotor such as Extreme Stop. The rotors are slotted and cross drilled and you can pick the up at DEFCON ART for around $100 each. They run these rotors on the track and street with out any problems like warping or cracked pads!
Old 06-16-2009
Registered!!

So the Hawk HPS pads are going to be dusty? That is something I definitely do not want. I get sick of scrubbing brake dust after awhile. I will prolly just end up going to Oreilly's and getting some Wagner Thermo Quiets. I have been very impressed with those pads as far as wear, low dust and quiet. Oh well, it is worth a try if I can find something that will work.

ROb
Old 06-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

If you clean your wheels every week you;ll be fine. Just squirting them with water will get most of the dust off if you dont allow it to build up for months on end.
Old 06-17-2009
Registered!!

Problem is that the civic is momma's car...Can't always get my hands on it when I want to for a bath.

ROb
Old 09-08-2009
Registered!!

Atromos is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard cheap cross-drilled rotors crack. Mostly everyone says slotted is good enough. Just get good pads and regular rotors, after reading about brake warp online, it seems like its mostly the pads fault, or improper lug nut torquing.