Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Cryo or cross drilled?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004GraphEx is an unknown quantity at this point
Cryo or cross drilled?

I have been looking at brakes and not sure which ones to go with. Ne one tried the cryo treated discs? Do know that i am getting EBC red stuff pads, just not sure whether or not cross drilled or the cryo. I am a pretty spirited driver...if that helps at all.
Old 09-22-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cryo or cross drilled?

haven't heard of cryo treated discs.... gota a link?
Old 09-22-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

how about stock? its better than both of those combined. cryo treated is basically useless. and drilled means less surface area for the pad = worse braking.
Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=S

those are the ones that i am looking at. just something to look nice behind the 16" ssr wheels that i am going to get.
Old 09-24-2008
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gearbox
and drilled means less surface area for the pad = worse braking.

Friction is not subject to surface area, just pressure & the coefficient of friction between the two objects. so drilling has 0 effect on braking power.

For the Thread starter... what are your plans for this car? as drilling adds no benefit aside from looks, with the added issue of increasing the likelihood of cracking the rotors under heavy use. And cryo treatments haven't been definitively proven to do any thing...
Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

I am just looking to improve the exterior looks. Not looking for a drag car or nething like that. It is stock besides intake, header, cat, and exhaust. those are the only things getting done to the car as i have a 68 stang for the 'race' car feeling.
Old 09-25-2008
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Well, then it really doesn't matter much. Drilling looks cool, but tends to reduce the service life of the rotor, where Cryo-treated rotors supposedly extend the life of the rotor, but just looks like a regular rotor.