Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

ABS and After Market Rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hkhan45 is an unknown quantity at this point
ABS and After Market Rims

Hello All,
I bought a 2008 Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC and would like to upgrade the stock rims and tyres from 195-65-15" 91H to either 205-45-17" or 215-45-17".The width of the Rim is 8". Would the upgrade have any effect on ABS ? Kindly need some guidance on the upgrade.
Thanks in Advance.
Old 04-15-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: ABS and After Market Rims

if all 4 tires are the same diameter it doesnt matter what size they are.
Old 04-15-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

all the rims do is roll around. so you should be okay! .
Old 04-15-2008
Registered!!

prsloco is an unknown quantity at this point

it really doesnt matter........abs just has to do with ur brakes....just make sure they would b able to stop the car.....the wheels shouldnt b able to get in the way.....
Old 04-16-2008
Registered!!

hi,
Thanks for all the replies. But will 205-45-17 or 215-45-17 have any effect on the ABS. I have heard that larger wheels will interfere with the way ABS functions !!. Is it true ? what are the effects then ?

Waiting for a favorable reply. Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards.
Old 04-16-2008
Registered!!

civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute

i read through this once a while ago about the ill effects of a BBK on a ABS equipped vehicle: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakekits.shtml
basing off the information given here the abs system will still work for the most part correctly because it is using wheel speed sensors to detect excessive deceleration in the wheels. i would think that have wider wheels would cause the ABS system to come into effect more often because it would more easily cause rapid deceleration. i dont think anything beyond coming on more often would happen based off of the way i understand the ABS system works as long as the wheels are the same total diameter as stock so that it wont change the wheel speed sensors readings. read through the article and decide for yourself but thats my opinion.
Old 04-16-2008
Registered!!

Hi,
Thanks for the link and the info provided in the last post. I read the article but it provided info on the effects on ABS if the hardware is changed i.e rotors,calipers etc. I'm not going to change all that. I just wanted to upgrade the 15" Stock rims with 17" after market rims

Kind regards.
Old 04-16-2008
Registered!!

mugencivic08 is an unknown quantity at this point

check that site,it will tell what sizes what fits.
http://www.procivic.com/pages-honda_...ide/index.html
Old 04-16-2008
Registered!!

civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute

i know you are just upgrading the wheels the link had information about the ABS system itself... and i will say again as long as the overall diameter of the wheel is the same the ABS system should work just the same...

Last edited by civic-driver; 04-17-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2008
Registered!!

Hi.
Thanks guys for all the replies . Really appreciated your help
Kind Regards.
Old 05-03-2008
Registered!!

nicokpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
all the rims do is roll around. so you should be okay! .
yes thats true
Old 05-03-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

abs WILL be affected with different size rims. how much? idk