Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Newbie for Tires - Price help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic06NY is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie for Tires - Price help!

Hi everyone,

My past cars have all been used, so this is my first experience working with a dealer. I am hoping someone can help..

I have a '06 Civic LX that I just brought in for oil change (and other minor issues) to my local Honda dealer.

The dealer called and said that my tire tread was .432 and they need to be replaced at .232

He said that to get the same tire (original from when I bought the car) that the price (with allignment) would be $750

That seemed high to me, but I don't know if that is what I should expect since I have never had a new car or used a dealer before.

I would need to have them installed and alligned - so buying them online appears to be out of the question.

If you have any thoughts or advice, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jen
Old 07-13-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Newbie for Tires - Price help!

When my dad got the tires replaced on our Altima, he got high end michelin tires. The tires were for 17s and with alignment and balancing it came to $800.

So for stock 16" tires, that sounds a little high.
Old 07-20-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

That's why they call them stealerships.... I say screw it, find someone else to do it for you, or get a brand new set of rims and tires for that much somewhere else. The dealership is the worse place to go for stuff, ironic isn't it.
Old 07-20-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

discount tire?

an alinment should cost about $80 tops
Old 07-20-2007
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough

You have a whole .200" left until they need to be replaced. You can probably keep running those tires until the tread wear marks are even with the outer tire surface. (your owner's manual might have an illustration of this).
-If you're unsure, take it to a reputable tire store for a second opinion. I've had good experience with Discount Tire.

Your car is an 06? Unless you got into an accident or hit curbs/potholes/crap a lot, you shouldn't need an alignment so soon. Anyways, if for some weird reason you do need an alignment already, maybe it should be covered by the warranty.