Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

I think the tire guy is trying to scam me . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura aboutEXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura aboutEXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura about
I think the tire guy is trying to scam me . . .

I get 4 new tires today . . . some OE replacements for Accords, I guess. Anyway, they have some that fit my Civic (04) and I tell them go ahead, put those suckers on. So they put them on and the tire guy tells me afterwards that I need new shocks soon because they are blown out. I have Tokico blues and they're only about 10k miles old. What I think happened is that they saw how my old tires wore down and assumed it was because I had blown out shocks. I don't think they realized my dropped car (s-techs) threw the camber off a little bit and caused the irregularity. Anyway, I think I'm gonna get a camber kit and not new shocks. But anyone else think these guys are just trying to make me waste endless cash?
Old 07-12-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: I think the tire guy is trying to scam me . . .

look at the shocks, if you see oil, they blew.
Tokicos cant handle superlow drops, so if the car is lowered a lot, then they're probably right.
Old 07-12-2007

EXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura aboutEXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura aboutEXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura about

Right on, I just checked all the shocks and I didn't see any traces of oil. The car's dropped probably 1.5 inches at the most, so I don't think it's too low . . . thanks for responding Boiler, you always got this site on lock.
Old 07-17-2007
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough

find an honest tech and stay with him. ive been going to the same place for years now and they treat me and my family great. hell, theyve even recommended putting off work that isnt really necessary yet.

if theres no oil and the car still rides like it did when you put the dampers on, chances are theyr fine and the guys dicking with you
Old 07-18-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the rest of em. Most importantly if you drive your car every day, you'll know when the ride changes. I wouldn't worry about it, if you are worried, get a second opinion.
Old 07-18-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

Don’t tire salesmen make straight commission?
Old 07-18-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Wouldn't it have been a better idea to ask him why he thought that?
Old 07-18-2007
wut y0u kn0w ab0ut them teXas b0ys...

MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light

SCAM...im dropped on the same thing....drive the hell out the car and still have yet to blow.
Old 07-18-2007

Originally Posted by MidnightCivic
SCAM...im dropped on the same thing....drive the hell out the car and still have yet to blow.

Hahaha, nice. I knew that he was just trying to make me spend a bunch of cash because I bought like some "good" Bridgestone's that are the Accord OEM replacement or something like that. He just probably figured I'd be like "well if I need shocks too, just go for it and get it all done."
Old 07-18-2007

Originally Posted by DeX
Wouldn't it have been a better idea to ask him why he thought that?
He gave me some story about how when I was braking and accelerating it was putting all the stress on the rear or front tires and making them wear badly. It sounded silly to me. I thought "camber kit" to myself but didn't want to call him on being an ******* if thats what he was doing. Maybe he was just confused . . . I doubt it.
Old 07-18-2007
Registered!!

OneHot01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EXsmellsbetter
Right on, I just checked all the shocks and I didn't see any traces of oil. The car's dropped probably 1.5 inches at the most, so I don't think it's too low . . . thanks for responding Boiler, you always got this site on lock.
I have a 1.5 drop in the front of my civic with tokicos for about 3 years now. and no problems.

Last edited by OneHot01Civic; 07-18-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-21-2007

Originally Posted by OneHot01Civic
I have a 1.5 drop in the front of my civic with tokicos for about 3 years now. and no problems.
Nice! I knew I shouldn't have been worried about it. **** that tire guy though. That ****ing *******. Those tires suck my nuts. At high speed cornering the sidewall gives like a little biznitch. My $50 Capitol tires were twice as good as these $100 pieces of ****.
Old 07-21-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

i think you have to take like 15 speed bumps, at 45mph everyday for a year to blow blues with s techs in 10k miles.

regardless of what your tires look like, the guy should know a blown shock when he sees one. and if yours aren't leaking, they're not blown. find a new shop to go to.
Old 07-21-2007
I need a drop
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough

that's why you should always go to a straight up tire shop. If you got a Discount Tire Co. in your area, check us out.