Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Help, my tires are wrecked!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007
I like my commute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
Help, my tires are wrecked!

Alright so I made the mistake of driving probably 12k miles on a lowered car w/o a camber kit on my summer wheels and tires last summer ... I just put on a camber kit last week and an allignment, and I put my summer rims back on w/ my tires... and the ride drives like HELL . So I just purchased some new tires, and my question is.. with driving around w/ these messed up tires, will I need to get alignment? please say no... oh and I bought 205.45.17's and the old tires were 205.40.17's not sure if that matters. THANKS
Old 03-20-2007
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help, my tires are wrecked!

Dont get an alignment till you've got the new tires on the car.

Oh and your wear was most likely not caused by excessive camber, but rather by bad toe angles, as bad toe settings will eat tires 10X faster then just about any amount of negitive camber.
Old 03-20-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light

^thanks for the reply better late than never... As it turns out, I had to go back to my winter setup for now, as one of my rims has a crack .... I'm probably going to replace all 4 wheels, as the rims I have are discontinued, and I've heard bad things about getting cracked rims repaired.

So if I read your reply correctly, I WILL need to get another allignment? I had it done last month, I thought allignment stayed the same regardless tire/rim size... thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2007
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Its an issue of trying to aling the car with tires that are bad = the alignment gets fixed for those tires.... but will be wrong for a "normal" set of tires.

See, as you get abnormal wear you end up changing the shape of the tires contact patch.

But if your winter tires are fine and you had it aligned with them, your probably fine.
Old 03-20-2007
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice

i cant agree more than zzyzx...just if u get 205/45/17 than the sidewall will get bigger but the ride quality will get better because the bigger the sidewall the more comfortable the ride is
Old 03-20-2007
I like my commute

I agree that's why I got them... but back to the allignment deal.. since it's currently alligned to stock tires and wheels, will the allignment be the same since a 205/45/17 is read the same way by the car as a stock tire and wheel? (as in the tire calculator which magically dissapeared)

sorry if I'm not making sense, I may be using the wrong terminology

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
But if your winter tires are fine and you had it aligned with them, your probably fine.
somehow I missed this... so I think I'm ok?

Last edited by Kevbotron; 03-20-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2007
Autocross Junky

Yeah, If you had the car aligned with the Not wrecked wheels/tires on the car then you're probably fine.
Old 03-20-2007
I like my commute

SWEET, thanks a lot for your help I really appreciate it