I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Where to Find Heater Control Panel Connector Pinouts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horta1212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Where to Find Heater Control Panel Connector Pinouts?

I bought my car used ages ago and have never bothered to look into fixing an A/C issue. Now I want to.

The person who owned the car before me appears to have wrecked part of the cable harness in the dash. There are all the right connectors in the dash center console except for the Recirc-A/C-Rear Defogger Switch. Looking at the Haynes Repair manual for the wiring diagram shows that the Recirc switch assembly is directly connected to the Heater Control Panel. That means I should be able to splice into all of those wires to hopefully get all of the functionality back of the A/C defogger and recirc features if the underlying subsystems aren't broken.

Since the wiring harness has been modified, it doesn't look like I can follow the color codes given in the Hayne manual. Instead, I'll need the pinout of the two connectors on the back of the Heater Control Panel.

Where would I find/buy a diagram of this?
Old 08-22-2015
Registered!!

Genyc07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Where to Find Heater Control Panel Connector Pinouts?

If I new what year civic it was that would be a start then if it isn't too much trouble some photos to go with I could probably walk you through it. The heater controls are different 96-98 and then 99-2000.
Old 08-22-2015
Registered!!

horta1212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Where to Find Heater Control Panel Connector Pinouts?

Thanks for your offer to walk me through it. I actually figured out a cheap way around the issue. I went off to the local pull-a-part and yanked part of the wiring harness that would tell me how everything is hooked together. My Honda is a 2002 so it's a 7th gen model.

Since I actually pulled the part of the harness that has the temperature controls, fan controls, and hazard lights, I figured I'd just swap the pins out of my bad/severed connector and attach the new one. The problem I've run into now is that I can't for the life of me disconnect the pins. I'm not sure what the correct technique or tool is for these.

I found this other person's post using a paperclip for this disconnecting process, but I have not been successful with a paperclip, metal dental pic, or a generic pin disconnecting tool I assume because it doesn't have the right size/shape. Anyone know what the real honda tool to perform this operation is? It would also be good to know what the proper technique is to release the pin from the plastic connector; insert probe from wire-side, non-wire side? Do you just insert and then pull, or do you have to use finesse to unlock it like the picking of a lock?

This is a pic from the post I found. It has the same connector I'm trying to de-pin. In my efforts, I have already pulled back the retaining cap which is also seen in the picture.
Name:  FOB3014.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  101.3 KB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FOB3014.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	88004