Just Bought a 2002 LX coupe with 32,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bennington is an unknown quantity at this point
Just Bought a 2002 LX coupe with 32,000 miles

Hello all...new member first post here. I thought there'd be interest in hearing about the 2002 LX coupe 5 speed I just bought. Yes, only 32,000 original miles.

Based on my understanding, the original owner recently traded it in to a local Honda dealership for a new 10th gen Civic. It then went to auction and was bought by a family friend of mine who owns a small used car dealership. He told me about it, I test drove it, and couldn't let it pass by for $3,500. It drives incredibly well, shifting better than any car I've ever owned, and is peppier than I thought a 115 hp car would be. Body and interior are in great shape with only a few minor flaws. No rust at all which is surprising since it spent its whole life in northern New England.

My previous car was a 2013 Infiniti G37x that I recently sold. I drive about 2,500 miles/month and couldn't stand spending $400/month on gas, which is what led me to buying this civic.

Looking forward to contributing to and learning from the forums in the future. Will post some pics soon.

Also looking forward to doubling the mileage on a 16 year old car in 1 year lol
Old 07-21-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just Bought a 2002 LX coupe with 32,000 miles

Welcome to the forum!

Check it for needed recalls
Old 07-21-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Welcome! You should post pictures
Old 07-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Welcome,

Despite the low mileage, it’s still 16 years old so change all the fluids, and do a timing belt replacement ASAP.

I would leave the tensioner itself alone, but the spring if you can get it seperately should be replaced. Waterpump oring should be replaced while your in there.

Battery replace, air bag should be recalled and needs replacing, ac / alternator belts.

Just saying it’s very unlikely someone who drove it so infrequently or not at all kept up regular maintenance that needs to be done regardless of mileage.

Old 07-22-2018
Registered!!

I plan on going through it thoroughly this coming weekend, looking over various things. I am going to have the timing belt done as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure the valve cover has to come off during a timing belt change so may as well change the gasket while I'm in there. There is a very good chance the belts and rubber gaskets are dry rotted despite the low miles, especially having spent its life in the cold new england winters. Also planning on doing an oil change, transmission fluid change, coolant flush, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc. The works. I drive too many miles to have any doubts about any of that.
Old 07-28-2018
Registered!!

For those keeping score at home, I have an update on the condition of the car. I've been driving the car about a week now, put about 400 miles on it. Engine feels strong and healthy, averaging around 39 mpg. Transmission feels great.

When buying this car, it really wasn't the low miles on the motor that attracted me to it. It was that the car had zero rust/rot, which is rare for a 17 year old car in New England. I knew that this car would probably run just as good with 32k miles as it would with 132k miles. But you're unlikely to find a car this old with over 100k with a good solid body.

That being said, I did have some concerns about the car when buying it. As said in a previous post, I bought the car for $500 more than the used car dealer bought it at auction for a few days prior, and he admitted he hadn't gone through the car at all. This is why he was willing to let the car go for what he did, selling it as is. In my opinion, cars are meant to be driven, and I was nervous to buy a car that spent most of it's life sitting. I don't know the exact history. The car could have been used for short one to two mile trips it's whole life, or it could have been driven ten thousand miles a year for two years, sat for twelve years for some reason, and driven again for the last year or so when I acquired it.

Last night I was getting ready to change the timing belt. I jacked the car up and took off the left front wheel. I was shocked at what I found. The strut was leaking, the outer tie rod was gone, the bushings on the lower control arm were all cracked, and the oil pan was covered in oil likely from a faulty gasket. The knuckle was rusted to the point where small chunks were flaking off and the bolts were completely seized to it. I put the wheel back on and decided to bring it to a buddy who used to be a Honda tech. He has a lift, air tools, and more experience than I do with this stuff and we're going to do everything at once (timing belt, gaskets, struts, shocks, control arms etc.). When driving it around the past week I could tell it was not absorbing bumps that great and the steering felt a bit off, but I was surprised in the shape that these components were.

However, I do not regret buying the car. I knew it would probably need some work (admittedly not to this extent). If I looked under the car and took the wheels off before buying it and discovered all of this I still would have bought it. It'll all need to be replaced at some point, so why not now?

Let this post act as a buyer beware. If you find an older car, any make/model, with unbelievably low miles, it's likely not going to be as great as you're expecting. Expect to put a lot of work in right away and spend some money on parts and/or labor. If you don't mind doing this (like myself) then go for it. If I didn't live in an area with a winter climate and salty roads I'd buy one with 150,000 miles over one with 32,000 miles. Cars are meant to be driven. Again, it was the lack of rust and the impeccable physical condition that led me to this one.

I'll post some pics soon.
Old 07-28-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bennington
For those keeping score at home, I have an update on the condition of the car. I've been driving the car about a week now, put about 400 miles on it. Engine feels strong and healthy, averaging around 39 mpg. Transmission feels great.

When buying this car, it really wasn't the low miles on the motor that attracted me to it. It was that the car had zero rust/rot, which is rare for a 17 year old car in New England. I knew that this car would probably run just as good with 32k miles as it would with 132k miles. But you're unlikely to find a car this old with over 100k with a good solid body.

That being said, I did have some concerns about the car when buying it. As said in a previous post, I bought the car for $500 more than the used car dealer bought it at auction for a few days prior, and he admitted he hadn't gone through the car at all. This is why he was willing to let the car go for what he did, selling it as is. In my opinion, cars are meant to be driven, and I was nervous to buy a car that spent most of it's life sitting. I don't know the exact history. The car could have been used for short one to two mile trips it's whole life, or it could have been driven ten thousand miles a year for two years, sat for twelve years for some reason, and driven again for the last year or so when I acquired it.

Last night I was getting ready to change the timing belt. I jacked the car up and took off the left front wheel. I was shocked at what I found. The strut was leaking, the outer tie rod was gone, the bushings on the lower control arm were all cracked, and the oil pan was covered in oil likely from a faulty gasket. The knuckle was rusted to the point where small chunks were flaking off and the bolts were completely seized to it. I put the wheel back on and decided to bring it to a buddy who used to be a Honda tech. He has a lift, air tools, and more experience than I do with this stuff and we're going to do everything at once (timing belt, gaskets, struts, shocks, control arms etc.). When driving it around the past week I could tell it was not absorbing bumps that great and the steering felt a bit off, but I was surprised in the shape that these components were.

However, I do not regret buying the car. I knew it would probably need some work (admittedly not to this extent). If I looked under the car and took the wheels off before buying it and discovered all of this I still would have bought it. It'll all need to be replaced at some point, so why not now?

Let this post act as a buyer beware. If you find an older car, any make/model, with unbelievably low miles, it's likely not going to be as great as you're expecting. Expect to put a lot of work in right away and spend some money on parts and/or labor. If you don't mind doing this (like myself) then go for it. If I didn't live in an area with a winter climate and salty roads I'd buy one with 150,000 miles over one with 32,000 miles. Cars are meant to be driven. Again, it was the lack of rust and the impeccable physical condition that led me to this one.

I'll post some pics soon.
Did you run a carfax?

I expect to see what you describe at 100k miles or more......instrument cluster may have been replaced with a zero or very low mile unit?
Old 07-28-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Did you run a carfax?

I expect to see what you describe at 100k miles or more......instrument cluster may have been replaced with a zero or very low mile unit?
I didn't want to spend the $40, but you peaked my curiosity so I went ahead and did it. It's clean, one owner, no accidents. Looks like it was consistently driven throughout its life, albeit very sparingly. Only issue is a mileage error, but it is clearly just an error. Surely meant to read 12,345 instead of 102,345. The next mileage not seen in pic is 15,791 a year later.

Old 07-28-2018
Registered!!

Can't believe it was only driven 1,000 miles/year the first seven years
Old 07-30-2018

Originally Posted by Bennington
Can't believe it was only driven 1,000 miles/year the first seven years
There are people out there who do this.
One of our customers traded in an 07 Fit, 10 years old with less than 10k miles on it.
Recently saw an 05 Accord with 30k on it

And I used to think my 5k miles per year was pretty low.
Old 07-31-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

My grandfather bought my current car at 54,000 kms.
I bought it off him 8 years later at 78,000.
Took it to the dealer twice a year for an oil change and tire swap.
Plus any other maintenance it needed.
Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alfie17 is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother still has her 08 Corolla she brought new, 32000 miles on it, other than foggy headlights cars in mint condition. She only drives it about 5 miles a day to work and back.
Old 02-05-2019
Registered!!

bbhondaguy is an unknown quantity at this point

clearly an error on the mileage. I would have purchased it too! fun!