What is does mean horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gulzarh will become famous soon enough
What is does mean horsepower?

i have Honda civic 2001 dx. i want to know how to calculate hp and what is for my car.
i read online but didn't get it at all. for my car it says''

Engine 1.7L L4 SOHC 16 valves
HP (hp@rpm) = 115 @ 6100
Torque (lb.ft@rpm) = 110 @ 4500

my car engine can make 240KMPH what i see in Dashboard.

i am really confused about that. Thanks to all
Old 06-16-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is does mean horsepower?

From your post history, is it safe to assume you have an automatic transmission?

If so, a stock d17a1 (the engine in your car) makes 115 max horsepower at the crankshaft. Transmission and drivetrain does incur some power loss as it's transmitted to the wheels. That said, your car is probably putting down 80 wheel horsepower (or, horsepower as measured after the power loss due to tranny and drivetrain).

Torque is just the rotational force the engine is capable of.

The speedometer is no indicative of the top speed of the car. If I remember correctly, the automatic transmission is electrically governed to 110MPH (~180kph).

So, just out of curiosity, what are you confused about?
Old 06-17-2017
Registered!!

Yes it is automatic transmission.
Actually what i meant to say by confused is that i dont know what is horse power, torque and how to calculate it. i know a little bit but i cannot explain what i know.
after my research on internet what i understood how to calculate hp is lik that:
1 hp = move 25kg in 1 seconde for 1 foot distance
if my car have 115hp, it mean it can move 2875kg in 1 sec for 1 foot distance. more than this then engine will not able at all. is that right? if so, 2875kg should include car own weight also or car own weight + 2875kg ?
Old 06-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.web-cars.com/math/horsepower.html

http://www.groschopp.com/blog/what-is-horsepower-hp/
Old 06-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

does it matter if you know how to calculate horsepower?

your car have what it have...
Old 06-18-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

if you really want an accurate reading of your car's horsepower and torque, pay to put it on a dynamometer. Prolly cost you $100

The D17A1 (honda civic dx/lx) engine is rated at 115 horsepower.

Automatic transmission makes the horsepower loss more substantial than a manual transmission.

A manual transmission D17A1 has been dyno'd at about 90 horsepower at the wheels. Estimated automatic transmission D17A1 is about 80 horsepower at the wheels.

For comparison, the D17A2 (USDM ex/Canadian Si) has the following ratings:
127 horsepower (crankshaft - no transmission/drivetrain losses)
110 horsepower (Manual transmission, horsepower measured at the wheels)
90-something horsepower (automatic transmission, horsepower measured at the wheels)

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 06-18-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

i am just curious to know what is horsepower for general knowledge that s all.
Old 06-18-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Just a power rating. Break it down further, work over time.

1 horsepower is the work done at the rate of 550 foot-lbs per second.

Trying to manually calculate your car's horsepower would be about as useful as manually calculating the amount calories in your breakfast. Just saying.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 06-18-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

what it doesn mean 550 foot-lbs per second and why 550? why not 500 400 or 600 ?
Old 06-18-2017
Administrator
Administrator

because when James Watt used it originally, it was the work produced by a steam engine, as compared to that of a literal horse, hence, horsepower. He calculated that a horse could do the work of 550 ft-lbs per second. The unit of "Watts" is named after the guy.
Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

it mean if i can pickup 550lb and move one foot in one second, it mean i have 1 horsepower?
Old 06-18-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Technically yes
Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

reallay??

my car have 115hp
if so, 115 x 550lb = 63250lb
28689,717KG
my car engine so strong it can move 28689 KG. wow...
Old 06-18-2017
Administrator
Administrator

I think you're missing the point, but okay.
Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

which one?
Old 06-18-2017
Administrator
Administrator

horsepower is simply a power rating. A rating at the rate at which an engine can do work. If you want to move 28689kg, sure, it'll do it. For one second. Theoretically. Then die. If you were to try it, it'd likely not work ever again. Mind you, the work that the engine is producing is rotational work. The transmission and drivetrain convert that to lateral movement.

Materials in construction of your engine further limit the stresses the engine can handle in day to day operations.

Furthermore, there are many variables that make that figure vary quite a bit, including air temperature, available oxygen in the air, road conditions, driving behavior, etc. Perfect conditions, with no power loss at the transmission, drivetrain, and wheels, your car will produce 115 horsepower at 6100RPMs

There's a lot more to engine power than figuring out "my car weighs x, if I can move it for this long, how many horsepower is that?"

This is seriously knowledge you don't need to operate or modify your engine. Use it as a numerical value as opposed to the physics behind it.
Old 06-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gulzarh
reallay??

my car have 115hp
if so, 115 x 550lb = 63250lb
28689,717KG
my car engine so strong it can move 28689 KG. wow...
You have your units all wrong. 500 ft-lbs/sec is not the same as 500 lbs, one is work and the other is weight. So yes, your car engine can move 28689 KG (weight) with the right gearing but you have not specified how fast and how far (work).

You also seem to be confusing mechanical or brake horsepower with drawbar horsepower.
Old 06-19-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP: here's an easy equation to apply to your Civic...D17 engine + base model automatic transmission + weight of car = ball-less
Old 06-19-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by pjb3
You have your units all wrong. 500 ft-lbs/sec is not the same as 500 lbs, one is work and the other is weight. So yes, your car engine can move 28689 KG (weight) with the right gearing but you have not specified how fast and how far (work).

You also seem to be confusing mechanical or brake horsepower with drawbar horsepower.
Good catch. Didn't even realize it. I was too caught up in... explanation.. mode...
Old 06-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

HP and torque ratings are for sales and bench racers LOL
I don't need to know any of those numbers to fix em.