2001 honda civic ex a/c problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cody Karow is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 honda civic ex a/c problems.

I'm having problem with my a/c. I have done alot to try and solve this problem such as charging, shooting dye and checking for leaks. Pulled the whole dash out of the car and checked the heater core. Checked the compressor and it comes on and turns off like it's suppose to. As far as I know I checked all the a/c lines and vents for leaks with the dye and there wasn't any visible leaks. Thought about changing the dryer since I don't know when or if ever if it's been changed. When I first got the car the compressor was stuck so I turned the a/c on and engaged the compressor it came on and it was having problems every now and the turning on but now that it's been ran for a while it cuts on and off like it's suppose to. When the car is charged with 134 the a/c lasts for a couple of days then it starts blowing hot air again. And when it starts to go out you can smell the Freon through the vents and sometimes see a white mist while it's blowing inside the car. I'm trying to get the a/c fixed for a more family efficient car (till i can get a better vehucle) due to I have two children and it's hot here in texas. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 honda civic ex a/c problems.

When the car is charged with 134 the a/c lasts for a couple of days then it starts blowing hot air again.
Sounds like a HUGE leak.
Shouldn't be difficult to locate the leak, or at least find the evidence it leaves behind (oil stain).

If you've been adding freon, haven't you installed some that has UV DYE in it? Park in a dark garage, get out your blacklight and check it over.

Got a sniffer?

Got soap suds?
Old 05-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cody Karow is an unknown quantity at this point

I have use the dye and had it blacklighted in a shop and it shows no signs of a leak even in the dash. That's the problem if there is a leak it shows no evidence with the dye.
Old 05-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

In case there is no leak, you could check for excessive clearance between the clutch and coil on the compressor. Over time the gap becomes too great that the clutch is released and the A/C fades out. Clutch clearance needs to be adjusted closer by removing a washer/shim or two to correct. A simple solution in case it helps here.