Modifying the driver seat/seat position for long legs

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
benneke is an unknown quantity at this point
Modifying the driver seat/seat position for long legs

I just bought a 2001 Civic (yay!) and I'm wondering if its possible to extend/modify the seat rails so I can slide the seat farther back to accommodate my very long legs. I'm 6'4" and I love the car, except my legs are very cramped. If its not possible to modify the sliding seat rails, do I need to buy a new driver seat that can be moved further back?

Please let me know if you have any tips!
Old 05-29-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modifying the driver seat/seat position for long legs

So.. I had this whole thing drafted up until I decided to look at the layout of OEM seats. I haven't had OEM seats in my 2002 coupe since... 2005.. thus is the nature of my change in response.

To preface my response, it should be noted that I'm 5'7" and have a 30" inseam when I shop for pants.

On my OEM seats, I was probably 3-4 clicks back on the OEM sliders. In early 2005, I purchased a set of Tenzo R Evo Racing seats, but due to complications in the order, I never got them. I moved to WA state and bought myself a pair of Sparco Racing seats from a local shop. I had originally bought sliders to work with the Tenzo seats, but apparently the mounting bolts line up differently than the Sparcos, so the shop fabbed up adapter plates (made from 1/4" steel plates) to allow my supplied sliders to mate with the seats I bought from them. That said, with my Sparco seats, I sit as far forward as the seats will allow, and it is quite comfortable in terms of leg reach to my pedals. My 5'1" sister needs an office chair lumbar support (or a pillow, as she's learned) in order to drive my car. If my seats are at the full back adjustment, there's about an inch of clearance between the back of the seat and the rear bench.

So, what did I edit, you may be thinking. I automatically figured that you could fab up some adapter plates to change the mounting location of the seat to the sliders, but looking at Honda diagrams, that option doesn't seem very feasible.

All that said, aftermarket seats may be your only option to alleviate your cramped leg concerns. My 6'1" roomie can quite comfortably drive my car with adjustment to spare.