Saturday To-DO List

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Saturday To-DO List

Hey guys. I've got the following planned for tomorrow. Unless it rains. 30% chance.

0. Clean the engine.
1. Install StrutKings shifter cable bushings.
2. Install Intake (Weapon-R Secret Weapon)
3. Clean out any carbon build up in the throttle body.
4. Change Spark Plugs
5. Inspect Belts and Hoses
6. Inspect Driveaxle boots.
7. Replace PCV Valve
8. Clean the air sensors.

Anything else in the area I should check up on?
Any tips before I get started, things I might forget?

I know carb cleaner isn't the best to drump down the throttle body, but getting some down there isn't the end of the world, is it?

Torque specs on the plugs, anyone?

I'm sure they are on the site somewhere, I'll have to search.
Old 03-22-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ondalow01 has a spectacular aura aboutondalow01 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Saturday To-DO List

maybe your gas/ fuel filter but dats no fun since its under your back seat. also depends on the miles of ur civic, change oil. are you basically doing a tune up?
Old 03-22-2008
Registered!!

briand17a2 has a spectacular aura aboutbriand17a2 has a spectacular aura about

disconnect the battery before you start (write down your factory radio code before you kill the power, if you have a radio with anti-theft)

check all fluids, refill as necessary
if you have time, a brake fluid purge/flush makes the brakes feel alot better.

After you're all done, reconnect the battery and perform the IACV ecu-relearn procedure (start car, verify proper operation, from park rev to 2.5-3k rpm, hold there until fan(s) come on, let idle for 10 min after that. All with headlights/ac/radio/etc all turned off)

Then you're good to go. Dont forget to use anti-seize on fasteners that have torque specs...otherwise it can throw off your torque reading.

If you removed the throttle body to clean out the carbon deposits, and after start up your idle RPM is all over the place, make sure you torqued the throttle body to spec...TB/intake manifold leaks will make the motor to all kinds of weird stuff. It happened to me yesterday after replacing my headgasket; turns out the intake manifold-to-cylinder head was leaking pretty bad. Torquing all the fasteners solved the problem.

Good luck man, have fun
Old 03-22-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

post diy on the pcv valve lol. and get some carb cleaner for the tb and iac. dont forget to do the ecu reset and idle learn when you reinstall em.
Old 03-24-2008

pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Well how did I make out:

0. Clean the engine. Not as good of a job as I wanted to do, but it's better. Here are some before and afters.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

1. Install StrutKings shifter cable bushings. Nope, I forgot to read over the DIY and I remembered when I looked at the cables that I wanted to get new cotter pins, so I skipped this for another day.

2. Install Intake (Weapon-R Secret Weapon) I got it. Had to do some ghetto rigging for the time being, but I will fix that. The sensor was indeed too short and the hose was too small and the support bracket was too flimsy, and I'm short a clamp, but I got it.

3. Clean out any carbon build up in the throttle body. Surprisingly there wasn't anything really in there. I sprayed it down and wiped it, but it was pretty good. I must give my car the right amount of nudging and care to keep it clean.

4. Change Spark Plugs. Did this, but damnit if I didn't break one of the plugs. Just the tip when I was verifying the gap. I hate when I do something so careless. So I'm running 3 new plugs and 1 old one until tomorrow when I can get back to the store and pick up another one. Here is a comparison from old to new:

OLD:

NEW:

5. Inspect Belts and Hoses. Hrm, as I suspected time to change them all!! Look at this crap!! How did my baby get this nasty?!?!

6. Inspect Driveaxle boots. DIdn't get to this, because I ran out of time and didn't want to jack up the car. Plus I noticed the plastic underneath was falling down, so I need to get some clips and I'll do it all another day.

7. Replace PCV Valve. Maybe I don't know where the PCV valve is. I thought it was on the other end of the hose connected to the intake. I guess I was wrong? Anyone know where this is?

8. Clean the air sensors. I sprayed them with MAF sensor cleaner, but there wasn't much to speak of here, they were in pretty good shape.

All in all a pretty successful day, although I ran into some stupid issues. Oh well, I'll fix them.
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

ex-cobalter is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you use an engine degreaser in order to get the motor THAT clean?
Old 03-24-2008

Hehe. Yeah nail it with degreaser first. Honda sells some degreaser/cleaner, or you can get the engine brite stuff. Then spray it off, avoiding electronic stuff by either being careful, or bagging them off. Don't hit any wires or anything or sensor areas with full high pressure blasts, just go slow and be gentle.

Then get the plastics with something, some people use regular dash type cleaner, but I like http://www.trimshine.com/..

*Note. I don't use trimshine on the interior. Although maybe you can....?

Last edited by pheaton; 03-24-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

Murderjetz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex-cobalter
Did you use an engine degreaser in order to get the motor THAT clean?
Looks like armor all to me. very shiny...
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

ex-cobalter is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, i thought it might be armor-all or something like that