Type R Dillemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough
Type R Dillemma

Finally got a type-r front lip a while ago, along with a touchup paint kit...I was hoping to save some money, but the color wasn't right. The fit wasn't spectacular and I couldn't even decide if I liked it once it was on.

Lately, I've been motivated to have it installed and painted at a shop...I'm still not positive that I'm going to love it, but I'm trying to gauge the cost of the paint and install.

Anyone have some numbers of what they payed/ what they think I should expect?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type R Dillemma

It's not going to turn out right if you use a rattle can. Distribution of the paint won't be consistent. If you would have taken it to a paint shop in the first place, it might have cost you about a hundred bucks. But if you've already painted it yourself. They might charge you a couple of bucks more to prep the lip, maybe like an hour of work, whatever the hourly charge is. Not sure though if it's not too bad, they might just scuff up the surface and shoot the damn thing. Or you could prep it yourself.
Old 04-27-2007
umm....yeah?

X0DuZz is just really niceX0DuZz is just really niceX0DuZz is just really niceX0DuZz is just really nice

just reprimer it and take it to the shop to get painted
Old 04-27-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

You could do that, but if the original paint isn't flat, you might see imperfections in the new coat. Or if the original paint wasn't laid on top of primer, or you didn't scuff the surface of the lip before you painted it, the new layer of primer and paint may have adhesion problems down the line. I've done my fair share of body work (still am) and take it from me, you'll thank yourself later if you do it right. I read an article in "Hot Rod Paint & Body" a while back that said...."You'll find out that a show quality paint job is 90% prep, and 10% skill with a paint gun." I agree in every respect. I spend hours and hours preping, and then only 45 seconds shooting primer.
If you want your lip to last, I would get the hard stuff out of the way, and then enjoy it for years to come.