1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

need civic genius

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adamism is an unknown quantity at this point
need civic genius

I have a 94 ex and was leaking oil from valve cover do to untight vc bolts when I bought it. I can't get the 3 front bolts to tighten as the metal dalls in cylinder head r stripped. Can I get replacements or am I stuck replacing the cylinder head? I can't even find such a part. Don't know if it's made separate or machined in from factory. Please help!!!
Old 04-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: need civic genius

Probably overtightened and stripped the threads out of the holes in the aluminum head. If one is real careful and has the equipment and a steady hand, this might be repaired using heli-coil thread inserts or similar product.

Each situation is different, each needs to be evaluated for feasibility.
Old 04-28-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
this might be repaired using heli-coil thread inserts or similar product.
OP: if you use helicoils after tapping out the holes you can add red thread locker to the helicoils to help prevent them from being dislodged during times of subsequent valve cover removal.

Time-Sert repair is another opton but more expensive.

Fortunately, there is very good access to those cylinder head holes and if you use patience, steady hand, and (optionally) a drill with a bubble level the repair is pretty straightforward. Or, you can just free-hand it like maestro Ezone probably does

This looks good too:
Old 04-28-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

genius ezone already answered call (yes, he is)
Old 04-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
during times of subsequent valve cover removal.
I kinda expect the valve cover might only have to be removed but a sparse few times in the engines lifetime. It's not like a person goes out and adjusts valves every other weekend LOL

FWIW some thread insert instructions might already suggest using a locking agent during installation.

I'll strongly recommend having a helper hold a running shop-vac nozzle close enough to suck up all of the metal shavings as you (OP) drill the hole so they don't get into the engine.
Use a shop vac that will never see the inside of the house (or car) because engine oil sucked into the hose makes a mess for a long time.

Or, you can just free-hand it like maestro Ezone probably does
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
genius ezone already answered call (yes, he is)
I'll sure freehand when I can but I will use or improvise guides if I feel it necessary for a good outcome in critical areas.
Old 04-28-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I'll strongly recommend having a helper hold a running shop-vac nozzle close enough to suck up all of the metal shavings as you (OP) drill the hole so they don't get into the engine.

I'll sure freehand when I can but I will use or improvise guides if I feel it necessary for a good outcome in critical areas.
I might thow some levels on me drill like the one's in the video. Can see that coming in handy around the house and wood working too.
I had to tap out block holes for a starter a long time ago. It was a tight squeeze and I should have broke down and purchased an angle drill but, I cheaped out and went ahead without one. Needless to say a bolt can't fasten correctly if it doesn't go in straight..Lol