Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995)
-   -   need civic genius (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995/369991-need-civic-genius.html)

adamism 04-28-2017 08:37 AM

need civic genius

:hithead:I have a 94 ex and was leaking oil from valve cover do to untight vc bolts when I bought it. I can't get the 3 front bolts to tighten as the metal dalls in cylinder head r stripped. Can I get replacements or am I stuck replacing the cylinder head? I can't even find such a part. Don't know if it's made separate or machined in from factory. Please help!!!

ezone 04-28-2017 12:33 PM

Re: need civic genius

Probably overtightened and stripped the threads out of the holes in the aluminum head. If one is real careful and has the equipment and a steady hand, this might be repaired using heli-coil thread inserts or similar product.

Each situation is different, each needs to be evaluated for feasibility.

Wankenstein 04-28-2017 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4723299)
this might be repaired using heli-coil thread inserts or similar product.

OP: if you use helicoils after tapping out the holes you can add red thread locker to the helicoils to help prevent them from being dislodged during times of subsequent valve cover removal.

Time-Sert repair is another opton but more expensive.

Fortunately, there is very good access to those cylinder head holes and if you use patience, steady hand, and (optionally) a drill with a bubble level the repair is pretty straightforward. Or, you can just free-hand it like maestro Ezone probably does :rofl:

This looks good too:

sdaidoji 04-28-2017 05:30 PM

genius ezone already answered call :) (yes, he is)

ezone 04-28-2017 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson (Post 4723305)
during times of subsequent valve cover removal.

I kinda expect the valve cover might only have to be removed but a sparse few times in the engines lifetime. It's not like a person goes out and adjusts valves every other weekend LOL

FWIW some thread insert instructions might already suggest using a locking agent during installation.

I'll strongly recommend having a helper hold a running shop-vac nozzle close enough to suck up all of the metal shavings as you (OP) drill the hole so they don't get into the engine.
Use a shop vac that will never see the inside of the house (or car) because engine oil sucked into the hose makes a mess for a long time.

Or, you can just free-hand it like maestro Ezone probably does :rofl:

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4723316)
genius ezone already answered call :) (yes, he is)

I'll sure freehand when I can but I will use or improvise guides if I feel it necessary for a good outcome in critical areas.

Wankenstein 04-28-2017 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4723319)
I'll strongly recommend having a helper hold a running shop-vac nozzle close enough to suck up all of the metal shavings as you (OP) drill the hole so they don't get into the engine.

:tup:

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4723319)
I'll sure freehand when I can but I will use or improvise guides if I feel it necessary for a good outcome in critical areas.

I might thow some levels on me drill like the one's in the video. Can see that coming in handy around the house and wood working too.
I had to tap out block holes for a starter a long time ago. It was a tight squeeze and I should have broke down and purchased an angle drill but, I cheaped out and went ahead without one. Needless to say a bolt can't fasten correctly if it doesn't go in straight..Lol