1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

'93 Civic Ex won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freek21 is an unknown quantity at this point
'93 Civic Ex won't start

Hey guys,

I came out to my car after work today unlocked it with the alarm, tried to start it and nothing happened. No turn over, nothing. The lights still worked stereo, alarm, dash lights everything else was good. I checked the battery voltage and it came out at 12.5V. I gave it another try and it turned and started.

I thought my problem was solved, not so much. After driving for a couple minutes I parked to go into a store, I came back out several minutes later unlocked the car with the alarm again, got in and tried to start. Same problem. I thought maybe something was draining the battery, so I tried to jump start. Nothing, same symptoms as above.

I have checked all my grounds, battery has voltage, no turnover, I don't hear the fuel pump prime. Also when I turn the ignition to "on" the dash lights turn on. My seatbelt light stays brightly lit, but when I try to start the car the oil, brake and check engine lights all go very dim, then off, and when I release the key from start they brighten a bit, but not to the level of the seatbelt light.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Old 06-21-2012
Registered!!

Re: '93 Civic Ex won't start

So I came back to the car this morning, she started no problem. On my way home I stalled and now I get the same result as before.
Old 06-21-2012
Registered!!

kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point

its your main relay. The hot weather affects the soldering and the reason you started up in the morning ok was that it was cooler. There are 20 bucks at any major auto parts store . located near under dash fuse box. 2x2inch black box
Old 06-21-2012
Registered!!

That seems possible, but summer has yet to arrive where I live, was probably a max of 20ºC OR 68ºF today... I have had it in warmer weather with no issue. I tried to bypass the relay and such but nothing from the starter. Im having it towed to my place and am going to bench test the starter.
Old 06-22-2012
Registered!!

Alright so I pulled the starter and did a bench test with it, got nothing. I went and bought a new one a installed it today. The issue still remains. I thought maybe I got a dud but I did a bench test with the new one and it is fine. I swapped my main relay with a new one and still no change.

When I go to start it, the gash lights come on and the fuel pump primes then the CEL turns off as the fuel pump stops, when I go to turn in over I get a click from the main relay and a click at the starter. Sometimes the CEL will strobe. And then go very dim. When this happens the fuel pump does not re-prime, then the lights come back to full brightness and the pump primes again.
Old 06-24-2012
Registered!!

kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe have a friend push you and pop the clutch to start it that way. That would at least tell you some things.
Old 06-24-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kellogg6316
maybe have a friend push you and pop the clutch to start it that way. That would at least tell you some things.
Yes a friend and I resorted to that so we could get the car back to my place. It started and drove fine. Now it seems to have the same issues.

I've left it for a couple of days without driving, but have come back to work on it each day. It seems that every time I come back to it it starts up no problem. I'll shut it off and turn it on a couple of times and then it stops turning on again.

I've replaced the starter, tried a new main relay, checked my starter cut off relay, checked the clutch interlock switch, battery has good charge, grounds are solid (rusty, but solid), I'm going to grind down all of my main ground locations and re-do the grounds.

There seems to be intermittent power to the fuel pump, sometimes it primes, sometimes it does nothing.

When the fuel pump doesn't prime the oil light, the parking brake light, and the CEL don't light up or are very dim. I can Hear the main relay click and then its like it can't hold the switch it will click rapidly and then stop.

what am I missing?
Old 06-26-2012
Registered!!

Racin97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try turning the key to the on positionnd wiggle the key around. If the lights and stuff turn off, replace the electrical part of the ignition switch. Even if it doesnt turn off it could still be going bad. Just something to try.
Old 07-27-2012
Registered!!

MrDobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Im gonna go with bad ground or wiring somewhere. This sort of crap happened to my old caddy all the time. Amazing what a bad ground wire can do, list of things that can go wrong is endless. Whatever is going on its temperature related. Something is expanded(heat expands things of course) so when you try again it doesnt start. Later it all cools down and you try, bingo materials have contracted and starts.
I can only imagine wtf is up though. Good luck