1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

1992 Civic VX Driveablility Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troy VX is an unknown quantity at this point
1992 Civic VX Driveablility Help Needed

Hello All,

I'm have problems with a 1992 Civic VX I bought for my son. A quick history, it had a blown head gasket when I bought it. That's been repaired properly but when I went to get it smogged here in Ca. it passed the 15 mph test but not the 25 mph test. It would hold the 15 mph in 2nd gear but wouldn't hold the 25 mph in 3rd so he tried it in 2nd gear.

The smog tech told me to replace the O2 sensor and do a tune-up on it and to look for vacuum leaks as the oxygen on the test data was high. He said that driving it after the blown gasket probably contaminated the sensor and after doing the work to drive it for a while to allow the ECM to recalibrate to the new hardware.

I replaced the sensor and tuned it up and checked for vacuum leaks. Now it runs ok but when you're driving at steady throttle it starts to lose power unless you depress the pedal then it picks up with a jerk.

I was told that it's the system leaning out to increase the fuel mileage, which was one of the features of the VX to get the high mileage ratings that this car gets.

What I'm looking for is, is there anyone on this forum that has some knowledge of the VX drive train and driveability that can help me do some trouble shooting or point me in a direction to head!!! Thanks for any help!

Take Care
Troy
Old 01-13-2012
Registered!!

Re: 1992 Civic VX Driveablility Help Needed

Anyone? Come on help me out!!!
Old 01-13-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Does it idle fine? maybe check the fuel filter..when you say tuned it up what do you mean..I do not have one of these so i can only go off of research and general mech knowledge...
Old 01-13-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gunner
Does it idle fine? maybe check the fuel filter..when you say tuned it up what do you mean..I do not have one of these so i can only go off of research and general mech knowledge...

Hello Gunner,

It idles perfectly, I have yet to check the fuel filter that's this weekend, as for the tune-up it was new Plugs, Cap, Rotor, Set timing, and a new O2 Sensor. Since my first posting I've been told to disconnect the battery to reset the computer, and while there is no check engine light on, I'm going to try to check for any codes. I'm hoping to get this all done this weekend so I can get it smogged and titled.

Take Care
Troy
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

How to retrieve your codes: http://check-engine-light-codes.blog...retrieval.html

Sounds like a sensor problem or like suggested, it's a fuel pressure problem. When you tuned it up did you change the fuel filter? It super easy and right on the firewall.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Thanks Lazlong,

No I didn't change the fuel filter but I did today and it still is running odd I'm going to get into it hard tomorrow.