1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

car turns off in drive or reverse but not in parking or neutral!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
921.6vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool car turns off in drive or reverse but not in parking or neutral!!

I have a 1992 Honda civic dx with a 1.6 vtec engine i swapped into it, I was having 2 problems the first one was it would loose acceleration and then get it back again while running and the problem was my o2 sensor, that is fixed but now i have another problem i dont know what it can be? any help will be greatly appreciated. This happens not all the time but mostly when the car is warmed up and used for at least 30 min. The car is running good with power but when i get to a red light and just idle in drive the car starts shaking as it tries to stay on but it just dies most of the time and this happens in drive or in reverse, so for this not to happen i have to put the car in parking or in neutral when i stop completely in a red light and the car just stays on without no problem and after it dies it turns back on without a problem every time but its getting me frustrated because i cannot find what is the problem i changed the distributor, iacv, computer and map sensor from a car that has no problem, brand new spark plug cables (even upgraded to some better ones), and spark plugs. Throtle body,fuel injectors, and fuel pump from the junk yard and the problem is still there. sorry for making this so long just trying to give as much info as possible so i can get better help any answers will be helpful
Old 04-20-2010
Registered!!

zavnet is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: car turns off in drive or reverse but not in parking or neutral!!

Originally Posted by 921.6vtec
I have a 1992 Honda civic dx with a 1.6 vtec engine i swapped into it, I was having 2 problems the first one was it would loose acceleration and then get it back again while running and the problem was my o2 sensor, that is fixed but now i have another problem i dont know what it can be? any help will be greatly appreciated. This happens not all the time but mostly when the car is warmed up and used for at least 30 min. The car is running good with power but when i get to a red light and just idle in drive the car starts shaking as it tries to stay on but it just dies most of the time and this happens in drive or in reverse, so for this not to happen i have to put the car in parking or in neutral when i stop completely in a red light and the car just stays on without no problem and after it dies it turns back on without a problem every time but its getting me frustrated because i cannot find what is the problem i changed the distributor, iacv, computer and map sensor from a car that has no problem, brand new spark plug cables (even upgraded to some better ones), and spark plugs. Throtle body,fuel injectors, and fuel pump from the junk yard and the problem is still there. sorry for making this so long just trying to give as much info as possible so i can get better help any answers will be helpful
could someone help this dude .. i am having the same problem.... the dat eis 2009 august .. did u find a solution?
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

921.6vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: car turns off in drive or reverse but not in parking or neutral!!

no i ended up selling the car but then a mechanic told me that it was the brake booster. He said that is a common problem in the honda but i never had the chance to try it but you can go ahead and try it maybe that will fix your problem just let me know what your solution is so i can know.
Old 04-23-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 921.6vtec
no i ended up selling the car but then a mechanic told me that it was the brake booster. He said that is a common problem in the honda but i never had the chance to try it but you can go ahead and try it maybe that will fix your problem just let me know what your solution is so i can know.
i believe this is the exact problem that i am having and is about to try this ... i will give that a look also

the Torque Converter Clutch (tcc) not dis-engaging when coming to a stop .. yes it could be the brake stop light switch not sending any signal to disengage he clutch....either way the clutch is suppose to disengage when going to like 6kmh.. it doesn't hence stalling the car also .. this was internet research which matches up to the problem that i have.

see the link below best one i have come across

http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html

so by the way r u saying that u sold the car with the problem? lol
Old 04-23-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

So did you not think it could be a problem with the transmission when you were changing everything else?

Think of it as a manual transmission and you left your foot off the clutch.. when you stop with the car in gear, the car is going to stall. If you stop with the car in neutral and your foot off the clutch, the car won't stall. If you leave the car in gear and push the clutch it when you stop, the car will not stall.

Something is wrong with the automatic transmission clutch(es).
Old 04-23-2010
Registered!!

oldskool89 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's so weird I wouldn't have guessed the booster would be at fault right away.. My first reaction would've been that MAP sensor.. This is really helpful for me also..

There's alotta stuff that u learn from here lol.
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Awjvail
So did you not think it could be a problem with the transmission when you were changing everything else?

Think of it as a manual transmission and you left your foot off the clutch.. when you stop with the car in gear, the car is going to stall. If you stop with the car in neutral and your foot off the clutch, the car won't stall. If you leave the car in gear and push the clutch it when you stop, the car will not stall.

Something is wrong with the automatic transmission clutch(es).
PROBLEM FIXED !!!... Well the link above did not help me because i took out the the valve body and replaced it completely and still had the problem . the transmission guy blamed the electrician who wired the car so i went to another electrician who also blamed the transmission ... so my bro and i got upset and got rid of the transmission all together and bought another one and yup it worked. no more problem that trany that i had was total garbage and to think i just bought it to do the swap and ended up having to buy another.
Old 10-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cotie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having this same problem and I changed the tranni and it still does the same thing
The following users liked this post:
BeElegant (06-04-2021)
Old 04-07-2017
Registered!!

Mario Moreno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cotie
I'm having this same problem and I changed the tranni and it still does the same thing
So what happened? They barley called me to fix some like this on a ford ecoline E150 I'm about to check the transmission torque converter the break light switch and break booster