1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

need help...will a d16z2 from a rt4wd go into a civic si hatchback???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jerineer is an unknown quantity at this point
need help...will a d16z2 from a rt4wd go into a civic si hatchback???

d16z2???
i"ve been searching for hours, and i know this isn't a "HOT SWAP" , but i just bought a 91 civic si hatchback that runs but needs rings. i want to put something in it so i can use it right now, but the only
d16z2"><span style=d16z2" /> d16z2">d16z2
i was able to find within 160 mi is right down the road , but its in an awd wagon. i know its the same engine and i found some things with people talking about swapping them the other direction, but i need to know if it would work for my hatchback. i saw a few things about oil pans and oil sumps, but what about mounts and bolting to the hatchback trans??? any help would be really apreciated!!!!
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

Re: need help...will a d16z2 from a rt4wd go into a civic si hatchback???

also...i apologize for accidentally putting this in someone elses thread yesterday. this is the first time ive used a forum...sorry
Old 03-11-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

No issues, I removed it from there.

If you found what was done on the opposite way, doing the reverse will give some clues on what need be done? Sorry, not versed that much on the older generations...
Old 03-11-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

a 91 civic si hatchback that runs but needs rings.

i want to put something in it so i can use it right now, but
I bet I can stuff new rings in the original engine quicker than you can do an engine swap LOL
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

maybe you could. and thats exactly what i'll do when i switch it out, but i'm working with a valve head that someone else just rebuilt and couldn;t figure out what was wrong. i need something i can depend on RIGHT NOW, and i trust an untampered honda engine over anything else...so, i need to know if that engine will work so i can drive my car while i figure out what someone else did to this other engine and if its even worth saving. so i guess you misunderstood what i'm going for. wanna come put the rings in for me if you can do it so fast?
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

thank you for removing that. i would do the reverse if i could,but all i've found is speculation. no on these forums REALLY wants to talk about putting in the exact same engine. I only have about $300 dollars to work with. anyone have something they could part with that would work out without a tun of modification? I wouldn't mind doing mods, this just isnt the time.
Old 03-11-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you found another D16Z2 engine in a recycle yard, the yard ought to be able to check their Hollander interchange guide and tell you if it will fit and work or not.

I would expect you might have to swap manifolds or brackets and whatnot....Whenever they have me install a used engine, I just figure all you are really buying is the block and head anyway and there will be parts that need swapped from one engine to another.

No, I don't care to drive to you to rering your engine....but if you want to get it to the shop and bring a stack of loot, I can probably get it done.
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

i'll ask them about that hollander book. i tried using the carparts.com web sight as a tool to see if it would work...chose all the options for an awd and for my car and the engines that came up were not the same, not that that meens a lot, but i thought it might give me an idea. they're pretty good, so i dont know if they just desided the things to be switched were too much, or if they are truely incompatible. i believe it will work. my biggest question, and i guess i should have put this in the thread, is will the transmission bolt up to the engine. wiki lists the engine as being identical...i just want to know from someone who REALLY KNOWS...you know what i meen??? thank you for the info!!
Old 03-11-2016

carparts.com
Try www.car-part.com if you are looking for more engines.

I think you may have to call a yard and talk to a person to find out what the interchange guide says.

I don't have first hand experience with your car and engine, that is much older than my time in this dealership. I can't positively answer your question.

Let this thread run a couple days, see if anyone else replies to it.
Old 03-12-2016
Registered!!

sorry, that was the site i was talking about,, but thank you very much for taking the time to respond to this. i really appreciate it!