1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Thinking of joining the civic club, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zemerin is an unknown quantity at this point
Thinking of joining the civic club, need advice

Thinking of getting a 95 civic, 5 speed, coupe. I took it for a test drive today and I was generally pleased with it except for the fact there was no power steering. It has a b18 engine and trans from an integra. What would I need to get power steering back installed? and how much would it be at the end of the day?

he also said it may need a timing belt, how hard/pricey would that be? other than that I can't seem to find much wrong with it at all and its a good deal.
Old 11-24-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Thinking of joining the civic club, need advice

Power Steering: Why would you want that?! A lot of people remove their pump for the weight savings, which translates to more performance. If you have to put it in, you're probably looking at $500 plus, much more if you don't do the work.
Timing belts aren't too expensive if you have the technical know how to change them. A shop will charge at least $500. I didn't want to take the risk and the shop charged 600ish for the timing belt, new water pump, and new belts. You can put a price on peace of mind.
Pics or the car doesn't exist ;-)
Old 11-24-2013
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome, btw! :-)
Old 11-25-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the fo.

If it is a DX, it didn't come with power steering.
Old 11-25-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poopies
A lot of people remove their pump for the weight savings, which translates to more performance.
You save what, maybe 10 pounds?
Pfffft, that's a "less than stellar" idea, IMO.

I'd never remove PS pump by itself....
I'd convert to a manual steering rack instead of crippling a good power steering rack.
Gear ratios are different, and a crippled PS rack is damn hard to turn if you aren't moving.
Old 11-25-2013
Registered!!

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4181829568.html

thats the post. it is indeed a DX. didnt know if having an integra engine and trans meant much as far as putting one in.
i could live without it but id prefer if it was in there; just wanted an idea of how much itd cost.
Old 11-25-2013

Originally Posted by zemerin
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4181829568.html

thats the post. it is indeed a DX. didnt know if having an integra engine and trans meant much as far as putting one in.
i could live without it but id prefer if it was in there; just wanted an idea of how much itd cost.
Looks like it's missing the rocker trims from below the doors.
Also, looks like a young kids car. Beat on already?

Put the timing covers back on that engine before you do anything else to it. TOP priority IMO. If anything solid gets in there it can trash the engine in a heartbeat.

We had one Civic in that someone put a turbo on, it had no upper timing cover. SOMEHOW (not anything to do with us) a stray timing cover bolt got swallowed by the timing belt and wiped out all the valves.

As far as a PS conversion, find a donor car with all the parts you need. I can't comment on cost......How long is a stick?
Old 11-25-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Looks like it's missing the rocker trims from below the doors.
Also, looks like a young kids car. Beat on already?

Put the timing covers back on that engine before you do anything else to it. TOP priority IMO. If anything solid gets in there it can trash the engine in a heartbeat.

We had one Civic in that someone put a turbo on, it had no upper timing cover. SOMEHOW (not anything to do with us) a stray timing cover bolt got swallowed by the timing belt and wiped out all the valves.

As far as a PS conversion, find a donor car with all the parts you need. I can't comment on cost......How long is a stick?
i noticed the rocker trims, thats not too important though.
timing cover? got it. im guessing theyre pretty cheap?
and yeah the guy was young-ish but it seems to be in good shape despite that, not really beat up.
Old 11-25-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Poopies
Power Steering: Why would you want that?! A lot of people remove their pump for the weight savings, which translates to more performance.
Main reason to remove PS is to increase the road feel and predictability in a corner. I will be removing mine come spring time for a better feel (and the belt is squealing a little). Best to use a breather type setup rather then remove the pump and fluid completely or try to fight the pump.

DIY:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-steering.html
Old 11-27-2013
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ezone
You save what, maybe 10 pounds?
Pfffft, that's a "less than stellar" idea, IMO.
I agree, that's why i left mine in! That, and it sounds like more work than I want to do. -_- I was actually asking zemerin why he wants to remove his!

GolNat, what you say makes sense, and if gearbox was here he'd probably be happy with your choice to use the breather setup haha.
Old 11-28-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

need mention maybe will need different PS parts since it's different engine than stock, not sure on that. will require more research than just going to the counter and asking for a stock unit.
and yes, due to different ratios on steering between manual and PS, best way is to depower when you have a PS.