1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Ecu

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rdwheel is an unknown quantity at this point
Ecu

I am wondering if someone can tell me, if the battery has been disconected, will it reset the ecu so when a new battery is installed, any old codes would be lost? I am trying to avoid any excess troubleshooting. Thanks
Old 05-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ecu

Disconnecting the battery erases most codes.

HTH
Old 05-08-2012
Registered!!

Do you know what needs to occur before the ecu starts to show error codes again?
Old 05-08-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3rdwheel
Do you know what needs to occur before the ecu starts to show error codes again?
A fault needs to be detected.

It doesn't have ESP.
Old 05-08-2012
Registered!!

Yes indeed, but I was not clear. If a problem exsists and the ecu has been reset will it read the old problem, if one exsisted before it was reset.
Old 05-08-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If the fault that triggered the code prior to the reset has not been corrected, then it will detect that fault and activate the code again.
Old 05-08-2012

Originally Posted by 3rdwheel
If a problem exsists and the ecu has been reset will it read the old problem,
If a problem exists and the ecu has been reset it will read the old problem.
Old 05-08-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for that. I am still wondering will the ecu show codes as soon as the battery is reconnected or does something else need to happen, like the car has to be running, the key has to have been turned on 100 times, etc, before will show codes again. In case you could not tell, this is a learning experence for me.
Old 05-08-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The ECU needs to detect the fault again for the code to be activated.

In order for the ECU to detect a fault, a fault must occur.

A fault is not predictable, it may occur the first time the engine reaches operating temperature post reset or after several hours of driving if not longer.
Old 05-09-2012
Registered!!

Well the 90' civic si is Resurected! After sitting for 5+ years, I followed the steps outlined by ezone (months ago) and started troubleshooting the electrical. I resoldered the s**t out of the main relay, put some oil in the plug holes and started cranking. Took a little while, but she finally built up enough compression to catch. Sure did blow some smoke! but by the end of the drive (15mi or so) she was sounding real smooth. Got a Nasty high speed shimmy, tires are toast I am guessing. Still no ecu codes, guess I will wait and see about that. looking forward to driving this Fun and economical rig again!