1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

timing belt boom!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95EX is an unknown quantity at this point
timing belt boom!

just bought a 95ex and was just about to do the timing belt when it just dies at the light. towed it to the house and did a little looking around, saw that the crank will turn but the timing belt will just vibrate and not turn (with the inspection cover off the timing belt) if it was broke i thought i would be able to pull it out??? so im in the process of taking apart the timing belt and im wondering how can i check if i have valve damage without taking off the head? Ive had people that have broken timing belts on these and no damage!
Old 06-29-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: timing belt boom!

Once the new timing belt is installed, do a compression test before you assemble everything. It's a pretty good way to check for damage, although not 100%.
Old 06-29-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tbohar
Once the new timing belt is installed, do a compression test before you assemble everything. It's a pretty good way to check for damage, although not 100%.
x2 this is really the only way you can check for damage and not taking anything apart. Hopefully there is no damage cause if there is then you have to redo everything.
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

thanks for the response....well the verdict is the teeth on the belt were sheared off around the crank gear. Im going to get a new belt today and put it on to check the compression and hopefully Ill be OK! BTW..what are some decent compression numbers?

what timing belt do you recommend. I dont need some top of the line thing, just something that will give me a good service life and is not cheap made.

since the belt broke my timing is all screwed up. Whats the best way to time the head to the pistons now? My plan was to rotate the cam until the valves on #1 cylinder were all closed and then put #1 piston at TDC....sound right?

while im rotating the cam how can i assure that no valves will open and contact the pistons?
Old 06-30-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Just use an oem timing belt. And you always put the crank to TDC when you are redoing the timing. There should be some notches on the cam gears and the crank gear to tell you where to align them.
Old 06-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I made a pretty badass writeup of how to realign TDC if you have lost it, I'll find it and post it here.
Old 06-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

It seems I've found it. This is for 7th gen but I'd imagine that it's very similar to yours. From my limited experience and knowledge I'd say that you probably bent something

Originally Posted by tbohar
Here is how i got the car back in time.

This is cam gear TDC. There is an "UP" mark on the cam gear, but there are also two notches on the gear itself. If you look at the gear on the side that faces the cylinder head you can see them. When they are lined up perfectly even with the block and the UP facing UP you know it's at TDC:

This is crank TDC:

Once these two are perfectly aligned and the timing belt is ON. Which was a bitch because every time I put the timing belt on the stupid crank would move out of TDC. It really takes two people to do properly. I spun the cam pulley twice counterclockwise with the timing belt installed, and everything was still lined up.

The final check is this. Once you put the crank pulley on, and it's torqued. It also has TDC marks on it. So, I spun the crank pulley 6 times counterclockwise and then set it to TDC with the markings in the following picture, and the cam gear was also TDC which means everything SHOULD be aligned. So essentially it was checked three times.

This is crank pulley TDC, it is best to look at it from above not below:

So that's it. How to realign your timing if your an idiot like me and forgot to mark things properly.
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

wow thanks! ok everything is hooked up and ive rotated it numerous times and all the marks are right on. i watched the valve travel and looks OK ( i hope)

whats the best way to tighten the tension pulley? I actually found the pulley had too much slack in it when i took it apart which mighht have led to the breaking of teeth

i loosened the center bolt and pushed up until the belt was tight then tightened dowen on the bolt. is that it?
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

update:

just did a compression test and all cylinders were at 190 psi...looks good

now im going to replace the water pump and tensioner!!