6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Is this an OEM Distributor or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolphin Sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this an OEM Distributor or Aftermarket?

I got a 99 Civic Ex, Auto, D16Y8 engine.

Can anyone tell from the pictures below if this is an OEM Honda dizzy or an aftermarket one? The car isn't with me now, but this are the pictures available at the time being.

https://imgur.com/a/ny8gR <<< pictures.

This is a used distributor that was used to replace my previous failing distributor about 4 years ago. Now I am looking to replace this distributor with a new aftermarket one. It's O-ring is bad and it is leaking oil. I was just going to replace O-ring, but decide maybe it's better to replace with a new whole aftermarket distributor I found on amazon. But I cannot tell if this distributor in the pictures below is a Stock Honda one or an Aftermarket one. If it's indeed a stock Honda one, I will probably hold off in replacing it and just replace the O-ring. If it's indeed an aftermarket one, I might just replace the distributor with a new aftermarket one. Though one thing I notice is, distributors are kind of things where you only want to replace when it's bad. If it ain't broke, don't fix kind of things.

Any inputs? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Is this an OEM Distributor or Aftermarket?

cap definitely is, can't tell if the rest is.
Don't buy a new aftermarket distributor, they're usually crap.
You're better off getting a used one from the junkyard, you can always rebuild them as well
Old 02-23-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Cap is aftermarket.
Can't tell about the actual distributor.

Wire connector shell looks a bit broken as well.
Someone didn't remove it from the bracket before trying to disconnect it?
Old 02-24-2018
FrankenCivic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dcstomp83 is an unknown quantity at this point

if this distributor is still working properly and just leaking from the o-ring...why replace it...o ring for the dizzy is cheap (i'm find the complete seal kit for less than 20 USD with one simple search)...and easy...inner seals are a but more tricky but still doable...if you do plan on replacing the dizzy still...go with genuine honda...aftermarket ones are crap....

when looking for a new distributor...even if you decide on after market...find the TEC...it's the same one as OEM...

Honda Genuine Part: Distributor Assy. (Td-73u) (Tec) -
https://www.hondapartsonline.net/oem...dXRvbWF0aWM%3D

Direct replacement:
TEC Distributor #TD-74U (mind you I looked one up for my 2000 civic because it was allready loaded in "my garage" so the part number may be a little different)
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NND9512936

Moral of the story...if it works..don't fiddle with it...if it needs a new seal...replace the damned thing...Genuine part is almost 600...direct replacement same coding is almost 300...if you don't go with genuine at least try to find the best of the aftermarkets from a reputable market...i've been buying from napa for quite some time and trust "MOST" of their parts...i don't buy their cheaper ended stuff....

Last edited by dcstomp83; 02-24-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: added price
Old 02-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolphin Sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dcstomp83
if this distributor is still working properly and just leaking from the o-ring...why replace it...o ring for the dizzy is cheap (i'm find the complete seal kit for less than 20 USD with one simple search)...and easy...inner seals are a but more tricky but still doable...if you do plan on replacing the dizzy still...go with genuine honda...aftermarket ones are crap....

when looking for a new distributor...even if you decide on after market...find the TEC...it's the same one as OEM...

Honda Genuine Part: Distributor Assy. (Td-73u) (Tec) -
https://www.hondapartsonline.net/oem...dXRvbWF0aWM%3D

Direct replacement:
TEC Distributor #TD-74U (mind you I looked one up for my 2000 civic because it was allready loaded in "my garage" so the part number may be a little different)
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NND9512936

Moral of the story...if it works..don't fiddle with it...if it needs a new seal...replace the damned thing...Genuine part is almost 600...direct replacement same coding is almost 300...if you don't go with genuine at least try to find the best of the aftermarkets from a reputable market...i've been buying from napa for quite some time and trust "MOST" of their parts...i don't buy their cheaper ended stuff....
Oh thank you!

It does look like I will need to replace the distributor. If I do and if I opt to get an aftermarket one, in regards to getting a TEC distributor, would it be something like this below?

Amazon Amazon

Searching for TEC td-73u at auto stores online, I can't seem to find much.
Old 02-28-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I would not buy that, $70 is way too cheap for that to be of any decent quality.
I can get 2 junkyard ones for that price and they will work better than that cheap aftermarket one.
Old 02-28-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dolphin Sashimi

It does look like I will need to replace the distributor.
Why? The O ring is less than $5 from a dealership and simple to replace