6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

1998 Civic extra wires into keylock. What are they for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pincookie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 Civic extra wires into keylock. What are they for?

Recently my civic started displaying symptoms of a bad ignition switch. I grabbed my Haynes manual, tore the dash apart and installed a replacement. Trouble is, there were two extra wires alongside my old ignition switch that go directly into the Keylock area. I called a friend and he told me it was most likely aftermarket alarm wiring, or a remote carstarter. So, I cut the wires and taped them off, leaving enough slack to reuse them if they were needed. Trouble is, the stalling at high speeds randomly is still happening. So my question is, could those wires being left in place be causing my problem? Or should I look into the Fuel Pump relay or other possible issues that could be causing the stalling. Dash has no codes, so I am kinda using educated guesswork at this time. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Old 05-04-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: 1998 Civic extra wires into keylock. What are they for?

Guess you're driving down the road at 70 in high gear and motor cuts off? Does it stay off till you stop and turn it off and then back on to restart? How many miles on car? Just for facts, blue is under dash fuse box. white to underdash fuse box . red is accessories. yellow is fuel pump relay. In that relay is a timer for the fuel pump run without motor running to make sure pressure is at full. Once started, fuel pump runs all the time maintaining full pressure with a bleed off of excess. That way there is always fuel at idle or wot..

Last edited by RIPSAW; 05-04-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2015
Registered!!

pincookie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1998 Civic extra wires into keylock. What are they for?

Yes thats exactly what happens. No studder or warning signs, just off suddenly. In town it never happens, it almost seems to time up with lifting up on the gas pedal, or when you first touch it to accelerate. 197k on the car. As mentioned, in town its perfect..no issues at all and idles perfectly. Seems to only happen at high speed on the highway, AKA the most dangerous time. Oh yah, I do pull over and start it again. Its never failed to start after sitting for a minute. TY