Timing - Honda Civic Forum

6th Generation Civic In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic. Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2014   #1  
Registered!!

davemanjam is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing

OK so I'm doing the head gasket/Timing belt on my 98 Civic LX.

My question is this:
In getting the crank pulley bolt loose I've lost track of where TDC is on the Crank pulley in relation to TDC on the Camshaft...

So, does it really matter?

When I put it back together I will make sure they are both set at TDC, and will make sure the distributor is correctly positioned so that the valves are closed on Cylinder 1 when firing piston 1. (Rocker arms loose on 1, stiff on 4). I will also rotate the crankshaft by hand to make sure nothing bangs.

Is there anything else I should/can be doing to ensure everything is correct?
davemanjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #2  
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Timing

there are marks on the engine,

you should be able to align TDC even with the crank pulley removed,

after you remove the timing cover, temporarily re-install the crank pulley, then use the holding tool to rotate the crank, while your rotating the crank align the marks on the CAM to TDC,

now remove the crank pulley and check the crank marks on the engine

Last edited by mikey1; 03-19-2014 at 12:24 PM.
mikey1 is offline   Reply With Quote