6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

97 civic door beeper and ignition issus

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
generye is an unknown quantity at this point
97 civic door beeper and ignition issus

I have a 97 Civic. When the key is removed and the door is opened, the beeper goes off continuously as if the key still in the ignition. This also negates the key fob from working. I have tried spraying WD40 into the ignition key hole and also tapping on the cylinder facing. When the key is removed, I hear a clunk sound but there is obviously some short that makes the system think the key is still in. Any suggestions short of replacing the ignition switch? If I replace the ignition switch can the cylinder be re-keyed to match the rest of the door key cylinders?
Old 09-21-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 civic door beeper and ignition issus

Going from memory here, it's all a blur!

If you remove the steering column covers and look at the ignition switch (the complete assembly is really called a steering column lock), you will probably be able to find a small switch with 2 wires mounted to the side of the housing. This would be the switch that operates the key reminder beeper.

The wires for that switch should combine with the wiring from the ignition switch and become part of that harness.
Follow the harness to the nearest connector under the dash (I think it sits above the fuse box) and unplug it, see if the beeping stops.
I think that connector will have some of the ignition switch wiring in it, 7 wires. The small switch wires are blue/white. If it stopped when you unplugged that 7 wire connection......you are on the right track.

Ok now connect an ohm meter to the 2 blue/white wires.
It should read open circuit when the key is removed from the switch.
It should read closed circuit when the key is inserted (and maybe turned).
Are both of these correct?

Last edited by ezone; 09-21-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you do find the switch is simply bad, and it's not a mechanical issue within the steering column lock causing your problem,

the electrical switches are available separately from the column lock.

#27 is the switch set

EDIT: Hey, looks like there is a single screw holding that small switch to the lock. Maybe take it off and work the switch by hand as a test? IDK how accessible it is though.
Old 09-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
generye is an unknown quantity at this point

My neighbor (who works at Toyota Tech Center) says there is a pin that is pushed in when the key is inserted. This pin appears to be stuck and will not come back out, hence it closes the circuit. I took the covers off the steering column and could only see 1 wire connector. I'll check again for more wires and connectors. If this is the one, I'll try to unplug it see if the problem goes away. I costed out replacing it. Parts on Ebay are approx $80. Honda shop charges $164 to replace and and other $75 for a key shop to re-key the cylinder to match the other keys. Hoping an unplug will do the trick.

Wondering where you got the parts pic? I couldn't find the correct parts drawing that would include this part. I did find a wiring schematic in Chilton that shows the ignition switch on the keyless entry. It shows a Bk/W wiring that would should be an open circuit for the key fob to work, hence the key is not in the ignition. I'll look for these wires.

Much Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013

says there is a pin that is pushed in when the key is inserted.
Correct, this is on the small switch attached to the side of the lock housing in the key cylinder area. (The ignition switch is the large round switch in the end of the housing.)

I took the covers off the steering column and could only see 1 wire connector.
The actual connectors for these are not in the column area. They are run up under the dash. Each switch (ignition and beeper) has wires that are permanently attached, refer to the parts diagram above.

Wondering where you got the parts pic?
From here http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

BTW, I got a chance to look in the Honda catalog at work and found the electrical switches are not available separately for US cars. You would have to purchase the entire lock assembly, complete with 2 new keys. (And I didn't really look on the catalog site I linked before I typed the earlier reply either....I can't read.)

Aftermarket might have what you need cheaper. Try AutoZoo and others?

Ask your lock shop what the price would be if you carried two column locks in to their shop and have them simply swap the lock cylinder from one to the other. (Reuse the original cylinder instead of retumble the new one.)

It shows a Bk/W wiring that would should be an open circuit for the key fob to work, hence the key is not in the ignition. I'll look for these wires.
My diagram shows that wire at the keyless control unit to be blue/red.