6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Just bought this 98 B20 Swap, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tarathatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Just bought this 98 B20 Swap, opinions?

Hello,

I just picked up a 98 hatch....I am not completely new to Honda, but new to 6th Gen. I have a 93 hatch and 01 coupe, both completely stock.
I just have a few questions....According to the guy I bought the car from, my 98 Hatch has the following mods:
B20z2 block
JE 13-1 pistons
shotpeen rods
acl race bearings
blueprinted and balanced
B16a head
skunk 2 tit. valves & retainers
aem cam gears
new timing belt and water pump
itr intake manifold
Integra type r cams
moroso catch can
aem intake
dc header
ctr exhaust
bolt boys kit
b16a tranny with itr lsd differential
act unsprung stage2 clutch
h22 310 injectors and walbro 255 fuel pump

My car has a noticeable lope to it at idle. Is this normal for this setup? Is this thing ok to drive daily?

Also, I can't stand the clutch.....any other clutch recommendations? I am new to the forum, I hope this is in the right section!

Thanks,

Tara
Old 09-28-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Just bought this 98 B20 Swap, opinions?

The "glugging" sound that you hear is normal because it has a much more aggressive cam. In essence, the "intake" and "exhaust" valves are open longer to suck in (and push out) more air. On a stock cam, the intake and exhaust valves open and close so fast you can't hear it.

That setup you have will make a great, reliable and quick daily driver as long as you keep putting 93 (or 91 if you don't have 93) octane gas in it due to the extremely high compression. With a built engine even the most well-built can blow up if not taken care of properly (not using fully synthetic oil.. etc).

ACT clutches are known to shift like a truck (my brother had one in his Evo VIII if I recall). If you're going to go through the trouble of swapping it, I would get one with an OEM feel (stage 1 clutches are your best bet since your engine's modified)

I guess my question for you is...why'd you buy a car that's so heavily modified, if you hardly know what the modifications are, or do?
Old 09-28-2011
Registered!!

tarathatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just bought this 98 B20 Swap, opinions?

Thanks!! To answer your question, I love civics, got a sceaming good deal on it, and want to learn. I've always built v8 engines. Just wanting to know what I've got I guess. I appreciate the info, I will start looking at clutches. I love this car for sure!