6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

a plug is a plug is a....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anthrodoc is an unknown quantity at this point
a plug is a plug is a....

My mechanic advises me to keep using the stock plugs in my 1997 Civic LX, but I want to switch to platinum or iridium. He says it might damage the engine to do that. Is that true?

Last edited by anthrodoc; 06-09-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Re: a plug is a plug is a....

The only thing I can figure is if the plug ignites too hot and burns into the cylinder wall. Or if it changes the compression but that can be compensated for with higher/lower octane. No idea man, seems to have some validity but I wouldn't worry about it. He might be following warranty precautions.
Old 06-09-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

he knows. stick with a good copper plug like NGK v-power. if you really have the extra money, go with denso iridium or ngk iridium IX. they will not hurt your engine, just take a small load off the electrical system because the iridium electrodes are smaller and require less energy to make the same spark. you wont see any extra hp tho. platinum plugs are terrible and the worst conductor (copper is best, iridium is pretty good). the only reason people use platinum is for longer life, on cars where it takes 4 hours to change the plugs.
Old 06-09-2009
Registered!!

back2black is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was working as a GM mechanic, I loved people who bought into the "autozone tune-up" as I called it. Brand new Bosch Platinum plugs, and misfire codes out the wazoo..."BUt I just put new plugs in it"....yeah, you plugged the holes...but as far as spark plugs, well...
Run what the factory calls for, unless you are highly modded. Honda spent millions of dollars figuring out what plug would work best in your car...sure, that guy makin 7 bucks an hour at autozone prolly does know best

ROb
Old 06-09-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hey i used to work auto parts and i refused to sell people bosch plugs lol.
Old 06-10-2009
Registered!!

back2black is an unknown quantity at this point

Bosch plugs are good, don't get me wrong...if you have a German car that was designed to run Bosch plugs...and only then, the plugs that the manufacture calls for. ANd just a warning...never run those bosch platinum 4 plugs in a car that burns oil at all. Did that once. Couldn't figure out why the car got to running not so bueno after a couple of years...pulled the plugs. The area inside the 4 electrodes was completely filled with the carbony byproduct of an oil burner.

ROb
Old 06-12-2009
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

You're the man, Rob.

Stick with OEM NGKs.
Old 06-12-2009
Registered!!

whitealexander is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info too mates..