6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Where to buy a steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dialoguemix is an unknown quantity at this point
Where to buy a steering wheel

So my boyfriend owns a 96 Honda Civic and he loves that car beyond belief so for his birthday I offered to buy something that the car needed to help him fix it up and he decided he wants a new steering wheel since all the padding has come off of his. The problem is I don't know the first thing about buying a steering wheel and no amount of google-ing has helped me. So if any of you guys know anything that could help that would be appreciated!
Some questions I do have:

He has specifically stated that he wants an original 96 Honda Civic steering wheel, not a cover, but I can't seem to find one. Is this possible (without going through a car in a junk yard)

Is there anything I need to buy with the steering wheel for him to swap them out (wires, gears etc)

Anything else I need to know about what he'd need/this project would be appreciated!
Old 10-03-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a steering wheel

He has specifically stated that he wants an original 96 Honda Civic steering wheel, not a cover, but I can't seem to find one. Is this possible (without going through a car in a junk yard)
Good, because there is an airbag to deal with.

Easiest and usually the cheapest choice is a used part. (Hey, it's going on a used car, right?). Local auto recyclers (junkyards) or try this site: www.car-part.com

USA?
Next would be new, factory part: $417.xx US Dollars. Retail.
Just how much do you like this guy?

Or about $292 plus shipping, online
(I just picked a random car for this link, you need to pick your actual car at the beginning) http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...HEEL+%28SRS%29

Is there anything I need to buy with the steering wheel for him to swap them out (wires, gears etc)
Anything obviously broken? See that catalog link above.

Anything else I need to know about what he'd need/this project would be appreciated!
Will need some tools, and might need a steering wheel puller.

HTH
Old 10-04-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a steering wheel

I found these part numbers

78501-S04-N61ZA EXCEL CHARCOAL (2,3,4 door cars)

78501-S04-N61ZD CLASSY GRAY (2,3,4 door cars)

78501-S04-N61ZB MEDIUM TAUPE (4 door car)

All are Retail $417 USD