6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Would you drive this car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rollondad is an unknown quantity at this point
Would you drive this car?

Looking at purchasing a 98 Civic EX Coupe with just under 118K miles on if. The question relates to the timing belt. This is a 2 owner car where from the CARFAX report it appears the first owner did much maintenance as scheduled, but no clear indication if a timing belt was changed. There are entries around year 7 and year 11 that service was done, but neither say timing belt (year 7 has various things specifically noted, but year 11 only says service). Owner 2 says she has not changed the belt. This car is about 230 miles from home. Would you drive this home and have the belt changed right away, or would you tow it home on a dolly and have it changed? Either way I'm changing it right away, just wondering if its drivable as it stands now (the second owner just got back from a trip of about 550 miles round trip). I know the timing belt could fail at any time...just wondering if you would fake the chance or not.
Old 04-25-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Would you drive this car?

It could fail at any time, but it's highly unlikely that it will fail on the drive back. Not all maintenance is listed on carfax reports either, so it's possible the belt has actually been changed.
Old 04-25-2012
Registered!!

I know its just an odds game at this point. I did send an email to the dealership noting service in 2009 to see if they might have details on what was done...it would really make me relieved if it had been changed in 2009 but wasn't noted, and its a reasonable possibility as the car was sold from aunt to niece a bit after that service.
Old 04-25-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If the dealership is not able to provide you with information on what service was done in 2009, then you could have a mechanic check to see if the timing belt has been changed before beginning the drive. Visually, a 3 year old belt will look dramatically different from a 14 year old one. It's a simple matter of popping off the timing belt cover.
Old 04-25-2012
Registered!!

I like that idea. If i find the belt is older, though, then I'm faced with the dilemma of drive it home to get it changed or rely on an unknown mechanic 4 hours from home to do it and having to return later to get the car...or driving the 17 MPG truck down with a car dolly just in case!
Old 04-25-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

When I bought my car about 1 1/2 years ago the car had just over 100 000 miles on it and was 11 years old. I asked about the timing belt and long story short it hadn't been done so I negotiated it into the selling price. Everybody at the time said there should be a sticker on the strut tower inside the engine that says when it was changed. The only way there wouldn't be is if a backyard mechanic had done it. I drove it for another 200 Kms before I could get it done. Nerve racking for sure but I drove it like it was made out of glass. Didn't rev it over 3000 rpm until I got it changed. My mechanic said the timing belt had cracks in it when he changed it and he put a sticker on the strut tower indicating when it had been changed.

So check for the sticker first, negotiate the price and then decide if you want to risk it or not (the drive).
Old 04-25-2012
Registered!!

Feedback from the dealership that services the car in '09 is that they wouldn't have changed the timing belt as they are a BMW and Volvo dealer and were back then as well. I'll look for a sticker but I'm leaning toward driving it easy home and getting it locally. The price we've discussed already is below KBB so its been factored in and looks clean and pretty well maintained otherwise. The CARFAX shows the first ownerr did regular maintenance and would have still owned it at the 7 year mark...there is a service at that time, but the belt isn't noted. Hoping it was done and just didn't get reported to CARFAX.
Old 04-25-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just drive the damn thing home it'll be fine.
Old 04-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

itll be fine. if anything ask the guy if he will gaurantee it will make it home. basically refunding your money if it snaps. i did this when i sold my em2. the guy was stupid paranoid about the belt so i told him if it breaks on the way home hes got my number and ive got his cash. it only had 115K on it.

also when you get home take off the timing cover (usually the valve cover needs to come off first). u should be able to tell. mine says gates on it. gates is a brand of timing belts. obviously not OEM. and while your there check the tension. i dont know an easy way to describe this but push on the belt and make sure its not really loose. a guy i know from the local parts store said he could push on his belt in his integra and it would move about an inch. then after he replaced it and the tensioner it only moved about a 1/4 inch.
Old 05-01-2012
Registered!!

Well this Friday is the day I'll go to check out and hopefully pick up the car. I've decided to chance the drive home and check it out closely there. As noted a lot of folks go way longer than 117k miles with no issues, but it doesn't mean I'll neglect it any longer. Thinking with proper maintenance this car should last me a good long time. Crossing my fingers....
Old 05-01-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

potentially fine, when i removed mine at 98k, it only had lost some roundness on the belt teeth, no cracks. mostly in TN, but a year and half in canada, suffering the freezing temps and high engine temps.
If it's in arizona or other parts hot as hell and dry, it might affect longevity, though.
it's a recommendation to change at 100k miles. i did mine since i had to do head gasket and to have peace of mind. water pump looked new too.
you should be fine (cross fingers), just don't abuse of the throttle.
Old 05-02-2012
Registered!!

Its been in Arkansas all its life, so temps are a bit warmer but not very dry. Definitely will baby it in the trips home...no burnouts for me LOL
Old 05-02-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by rollondad
Its been in Arkansas all its life, so temps are a bit warmer but not very dry. Definitely will baby it in the trips home...no burnouts for me LOL
Let's be honest here.... civics can't do burnouts even with freshly changed timing belts
Old 05-02-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I can spin em pretty good. For about 1 second, then the clutch chatter kicks in bad because my clutch is getting pretty bad lol.
Old 05-02-2012
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

i can spin them all the way through 1st...

...in the rain
Old 05-02-2012
Whachya lookin at?

^ I missed the "In the rain part" at first and all I was thinking was .. bulllshhiiit lol then I noticed it.
Old 05-02-2012
Registered!!

lol but you CAN do a burnout in a civic.

...with use of the ebrake
Old 05-05-2012
Registered!!

Just as a final followup...picked the car up yesterday, and it appears mechanically sound and well maintained. Some bumps and bruises on the body, as well as the inside, though the seats and carpets are in really good shape for 14 years old, no rips or tears there. But sitting last night looking through all the records she gave me (mostly from when her aunt owned it), I found that about 70K miles and not quite 6 years ago (Dec of '06), the Honda dealer changed the timing belt. All that worry, and it wasn't anywhere near time for it...I've got 2 years or 30K miles to go on it! But thanks everyone for your advice on how to proceed. Now it'll be my commuter car for years to come (by the way on a 207 mile trip home, I got 43.5 mpg...filled up there and filled up here, mostly 2 lane highways through the woods, so I am very pleased with that!).
Old 05-05-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Great news! Thanks for the update, I'm sure she'll serve you well.
Old 05-05-2012
Whachya lookin at?

That is good news, glad you got it home
Old 05-07-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

glad to hear you got a good car deal, it seems.
Old 05-07-2012
Registered!!

I hope to one day report of 200k miles, then 300k, and who knows after that...she might outlast me!
Old 05-07-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I know a bunch of people that have over 250k miles on 6th gen civics and they say they are not burning/leaking oil and have had no major problems with them. So yeah, 300k should be possible if you take care of it.

congrats.
Old 05-08-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Stock 99
I know a bunch of people that have over 250k miles on 6th gen civics and they say they are not burning/leaking oil and have had no major problems with them. So yeah, 300k should be possible if you take care of it.

congrats.
mine burns/leaks a bit at 172000. nothing too major tho. i just have to remember to add a quart about halfway through my 3000 mile oil changes. im hoping its my oil pan gasket though and not burning.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

kyle_l88 will become famous soon enoughkyle_l88 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
mine burns/leaks a bit at 172000. nothing too major tho. i just have to remember to add a quart about halfway through my 3000 mile oil changes. im hoping its my oil pan gasket though and not burning.
Same here, I think the oil pan gaskets are an issue with a lot of vehicles out there. I'm losing oil somewhere and I swear the engine is hiding it somewhere :P. With that being said I know im not burning it after doing various tests and always checking up on the spark plugs. like WHERE is it going haha
Old 05-16-2012
Registered!!

That's good info to watch the oil...especially not knowing much history behind the car. She's going to be a commuter car for me, running about 230 miles to a yard, then sitting for 2 weeks while I'm out on the road, then back for another 230 mile trip back home. With that schedule I can watch and see if it burns or leaks before each trip. Thanks for that info!