6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

What needs to be done on '00 Civic LX with 14K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
littlefoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What needs to be done on '00 Civic LX with 14K miles?

I was hoping to get clarification on what, if anything, needs to be done on my car.

I just bought a 2000 Civic LX with 14,000 miles on it last week. It passed the NYS safety/emissions inspection.

My dad was the one who brought the car in for the inspection, and I looked at the paperwork afterwards where the dealer that did the inspection said that, "based on the mileage, the manufacturer recommends" the following actions:

- service air cleaner
- rotate tires
- wheel balance
- inspect exhaust system
- inspect shocks, suspension, steering
- tune-up
- service windshield wiper system
- replace windshield wiper blades
- service AC
- adjust parking brake
- drain and flush cooling system

Does that sound about right or does that sound excessive?

The owner's manual mentions on p. 178 some of these things, but not all of them.

And will it be crazy expensive? (I feel like I've been bleeding money after shelling out for a car and its associated costs, and I'd prefer not to bleed a few hundred dollars immediately, but I do want to do right by my car.)

As for background about the car, I don't have the service records unfortunately. I bought from a private small dealer. The previous owner was a little old lady, and the AutoCheck score was 89 whereas similar vehicles scored in the range of 34-58. I had a mechanic look at the car when I went to see it, and it checked out...but he's an acquaintance and I wasn't like paying him for an inspection on the spot...so I trust his opinion but it'd probably be different from actually taking the car in, right?

Thanks so much for helping me out!!
Old 04-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What needs to be done on '00 Civic LX with 14K miles?

Soundsd okay but you can do all that yourself in a matter of a few minutes except the wheel balance that i personally wouldnt do and the "AC" service that they don't do anyway. They will probably want around 100 bucks for it all i think.
Old 04-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RemyL31 will become famous soon enough
Re: What needs to be done on '00 Civic LX with 14K miles?

When I buy a "new" used car, I usually do a visual inspection on such things that were listed.
I change the oil and filter, inspect/replace the air filter, check coolant, check tranny fluid (drain/refill if auto)

I wouldn't do the balancing of the tires, unless the ride is bumpy and feels like they are out of balance.
Check the tread on the tires to see if they are all even wear. If not, you can rotate them as needed (or alignment if worn uneven or cupped)

For it being 11 years old, I would do the tune up even though it has low miles.