6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

First Post - need help with my dead '00 civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nitroguy is an unknown quantity at this point
First Post - need help with my dead '00 civic

In March of this year, I replaced the dead alternator and battery on my 2000 civic LX with just over 100k miles. Since then, I've put about 10k trouble-free miles on it. However lately, a weird thing happened:

When at a stoplight, there would be what I can only describe as "jingle bell" noises coming from under the hood - definitely pronounced, and would stay on for just a second or two before going away. I looked all under the hood but couldn't find anything out of place. Then it started to do it while the car was driving, and the battery light would come on. And last night, my wife came home, and said the car was "making that noise again, and the car was shaking like crazy. I seriously thought it was going to blow up". I go out this morning, and the battery's dornail-dead.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong with my car? Did I get a bum alternator? I got, what I was told was, the good one - Autolite from Shucks. There was quite a bit of corrosion on the positive lead at the time of the new alternator, so I cut off the connector and put one of those solid lead ones on, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for anyone's help!

-nitroguy
Old 10-25-2010
Registered!!

nitroguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: First Post - need help with my dead '00 civic

Well, thank you for all the help (?). I charged the battery, fired up the car and saw sparks shooting out of the alternator. Replaced it at O'Reilly's and the car works great again.

Hope this helps anyone.

Adios.
Old 10-25-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Uhhhhhh.......Welcome?

And glad you got the issue fixed
Old 10-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Sparks from alternator = BAD

lol

Glad you got it fixed.
Old 10-29-2010
Registered!!

bujeezus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Uhhhhhh.......Welcome?

And glad you got the issue fixed