6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Fan only works on 2 settings

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Fan only works on 2 settings

I've had this issue since I've had the car, but now I guess it's finally starting to get to me. Fan only works on High and Very High. During the warmer months the fan is obviously off, but now it's starting to get cold. I bought a new resistor just to be safe, but I can't get all the pieces for the assembly off for some reason. I was able to unplug the connector to the old one and hook it into the new one but the fan still only works on those 2 speeds. Is it possible the switch is messed up? Any input is much appreciated.
Old 10-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Fan only works on 2 settings

Yeah, sounds like the switch. #3: http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...itch=&hidIrno= or for salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/
Old 10-10-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Haha. God damn that's a lot of cash. Guess I'll have to hit up the junkyard. Thanks man. I had a feeling it was gonna be the switch.
Old 10-10-2010
Registered!!

hb pickup is an unknown quantity at this point

on a 96 the switch should have continuity on the lowest speed between terminal1 (which is gnd) and term4. next higher speed between 1 & 2. next higher between 1 & 5. highest between 1 & 3. resistor should have 2-3 ohms resistance between term 2 & 4.
Old 11-06-2010
Trance Addict

I actually found a few used ones on fleaBay. I think I'll check these ones out. I went and just tested the relays to be sure though. They're good. Effin aye.
Old 11-19-2010
Trance Addict

Okay. I need someone to help me out with this. I got a switch for like 40 bucks. Now, the seller and the description said the switch would fit ALL civic models....but I checked the packaging and it said all Civics but DOHC VTEC. WTF? I went online for the OEM part number and they're different! Fack. What exactly is the difference? They look exactly the same. Different power rating? I haven't attempted to put the new switch in because I don't wanna run the risk of frying something. Anybody got any insight on this?