6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Skunk 2 coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicRage is an unknown quantity at this point
Skunk 2 coil overs

fdgdfghdfgh

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Skunk 2 coil overs

well are they just springs or a full coilover.
Old 04-28-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

what year car? 01 and newer are different suspension and require rear camber kit, older i think both.
If height adjustable coilover, you can raise them...
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

dfghdfghdfgh

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-28-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CivicRage
99 civic ex and they said the back was in perfect alignment , whatever that means its probably a biased opinion i imagine. As far as if they're full or not what am i looking for lowlife9? Thats something i forgot to mention is what i'm looking at in the first place . I was just told they were skunk 2. They are red springs and have a gold wrap around piece on them and below that looks like threads that are just about 4 inches long to the bottom. These threads don't have the spring touching it, they're under it.
http://www.skunk2.com/suspension_tuning.php
If you have the threads, you just need to turn them until you get the desired height (unload the suspension first by jacking the car -don't know details, i don't have adjustable height...). for better results, go to a precision alignment shop (they will cost a lot more...) and try to get a corner weighing.
Or you can adjust by eye if you don't mind for precision handling, measuring the gap to fenders or some other point of reference, considering all your fenders are in good shape and aligned...

After adjusting the height, you will need to align the car for new height setup.
how low is your car? If the camber does not look too negative (spread leg looks) it should already have camber kits?
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

dfghdfgh

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

What is a corner weighing? The car is lowered 2 inches.

The reason i'm trying to raise the car back up is because there is no camber kit in the front. The previous owners that had my car a year ago never put one on and let the tires wear to bald. I just now learned WHY my new tires were getting shredded (annoying that i didn't know about suspension stuff causing tire wear) So i want the car back to stock height with an alignment to stop this and prevent having to buy a camber kit.(which in the end costs me more money for something i didn't want in the first place) So just raise the car back up and then get an alignment and i should be set enough to not wear out my tires? as long as the raising of the car is done correctly? and do i ask for just a stock alignment?

As far as precision handling, is this all about not wearing the tires? or just better handling? or both? I'll be content with just no abnormal tire wear.

Corner weighning is to adjust the car height to have the exact weight distribution in each tire for each axle.
Yes, if you have the threads, you just need to turn them to the direction that will raise the car and hopefully it will be enough to get to stock height (not sure, depend if the coilovers can goo all the way, you will need to try and see). Do not know if you will be able to raise the car without lifting the car... the best way would have been to keep lifting the car until the tires are close to vertical from the ground... Maybe you can ask the alignment tech to do it if he is versed on coilovers.
From what you stated, you do not need precision alignment.
Old 04-30-2010
Registered!!

dsfgsdfg

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

good luck and let us know if you get in any problem
Old 05-05-2010
Registered!!

dsfgdsfg

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-05-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

One inch should be more tahn enough
Old 05-05-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Front camber kit is so cheap just buy it and do a proper alignment, all it is is 2 bolts. You get to keep your drop and fix the camber issue. Even at stock height you might need a camber kit to get it to align properly with coilovers. Especially if you can't get stock height.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 05-05-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
Front camber kit is so cheap just buy it and do a proper alignment, all it is is 2 bolts. You get to keep your drop and fix the camber issue. Even at stock height you might need a camber kit to get it to align properly with coilovers. Especially if you can't get stock height.
his is a 99, i believe double wishbone suspension. if that true, need lower control arms.
Hard part is to adjust the ride height to adjust the camber, i guess.
Miatas have around 1 degree change for 1 inch change, not sure about the hondas, mine is a 02...
Old 05-06-2010
Registered!!

blah!!

Last edited by CivicRage; 05-15-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Honda dealership, or just about any automotive place in your town will have them. Take pictures of your old ones and post them on here. You might get someone to buy them (ME!)
Old 05-11-2010
Registered!!

dsfgdfg

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
Honda dealership, or just about any automotive place in your town will have them. Take pictures of your old ones and post them on here. You might get someone to buy them (ME!)
tbohar, i am afraid they won't fit your 05
Old 05-14-2010
Registered!!

dsfdsfgdfg

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
tbohar, i am afraid they won't fit your 05
It's all good... ty for the info. All mods are put off cuz i just bought a new xover anyway good luck on the sale though.. To me it sounds like you have just springs
Old 05-14-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Hey i have more questions now. How do i know if i have a full coil over kit or just coil over springs on stock struts? (they are ground control springs)

I really wanna put the car back at stock height. Still haven't done anything yet based on outrageous prices on struts and springs for my car.

Can i just stick stock springs on the struts i have now since they're not blown or leaking??
do you have the threads that are shown in the link you posted?
If so, you can just take the threaded sleeves out of the struts and see if they strut still have the place to seat the springs.
Or better, post a pic of your suspension and we can look at it and tell you what is there...
Old 05-14-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

OK, let's see:
You do have the sport shocks, lowering springs, but does not seem to have the height adjustment sleeves? The sport shocks seem to have the lower seating portion, but i am not sure how the 6th generation springs does look like... they might or might not fit on them... I will ask the moderator to move you to the 6th generation forum, i guess that will be better. My civic is the 7th generation and it is different...
I think you could also start from these pages:

http://www.skunk2.com/cgi-bin/kb.cgi?category=2&lang=en

Also there is the installation instructions, but not sure if it will help much...

http://www.skunk2.com/installation/541-05-1220.pdf
Old 05-15-2010
Registered!!

Deleted

Last edited by CivicRage; 05-15-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2010
Registered!!

deleted

Last edited by CivicRage; 05-15-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-15-2010
Registered!!

sdfgsdfgsdfg

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

I didn't catch this post till now. Yes, i do have whats shown in that picture. So what if the strut doesn't have the place to seat the spring? Can that be bought separately?
nope, new struts as far as i know...

But seeing this ebay thing, the sleeves just slide over the shocks and seat where the springs seat normally, so taking them out and putting the stock springs could be possible.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/96-00-Honda-Civic...item414e783498

how are the bushings coming out?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-15-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2010
Registered!!

t6yhybhb

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

I like to drag dead horses around. 6 of them.

Let us know it that works out for you