6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

97 civic hx tranny shot

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gp78 is an unknown quantity at this point
97 civic hx tranny shot

Hi Every1! I have a 97 HX automatic. I was driving yesterda and when I exited the freeway my RPM will go up but its barely pickup speed. I check the transmission oil and its full. I turned the car off started it and press the gas and everything work fine. But once I stoped at the light and the light turned green the same thing happens. The rpm will go up and car will go up to 45mph. Then the D will start flashing. I believe tranny is shot. My friend has a 99 EX auto tranny. Will that fit? Do I need to replace ECU also? my car has D S and L, only compare to LX and EX will that be a problem? Any suggestions? My car has 240K miles and this is my first major problem
Old 05-06-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 civic hx tranny shot

the HX uses a whole different CVT trans, not your standard auto by any means. yours uses belts and pulleys to continuously adjust the gearing (infinite gears). something is wrong, but it may just be a minor problem like a sensor or belt. if the D is flashing, its def a trans issue and should be looked at.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

Hi this CVC tranny has so many problems. when the car has 90K the tranny went out and honda replaced it. So i was thnking reaplcing it with a EX tranny and replace the ECu but Im wondering if it will fit and also im worried about the shift selector. I found a JDM HX tranny from a local shop for $225 or I can get my frined new rebuilt EX tranny which one would you recommend. Today the car is running fine. LOL
Old 05-06-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah sorry to say, the cvt does tend to break alot. try the jdm hx tranny, maybe its built better than whats on there now. the ex conversion im not sure if it will even fit on the car.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah sorry to say, the cvt does tend to break alot. try the jdm hx tranny, maybe its built better than whats on there now. the ex conversion im not sure if it will even fit on the car.
The car is runing fine today with the normal jering and rom going up and down when im stop.. I pulled the battery out and put it back in. hope it last for a while untill i find a reasonable shop
Old 05-07-2009
Registered!!

ScottDR will become famous soon enough

Glad it's working ok now. If not, get the code it is throwing. If it is an actual failure an EX transmission will fit no problem (just final drive and 2nd gear is different). The transmission has it's own ECM and that will obviously be unplugged with the new transmission (as there is nothing to plug into). The engine ECU would need to be changed out for a manual transmission HX ECU.
Old 05-08-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ScottDR
Glad it's working ok now. If not, get the code it is throwing. If it is an actual failure an EX transmission will fit no problem (just final drive and 2nd gear is different). The transmission has it's own ECM and that will obviously be unplugged with the new transmission (as there is nothing to plug into). The engine ECU would need to be changed out for a manual transmission HX ECU.

Thanks, it acted up again on my way to work. I took the car in today at AAmco for a diagnostic and they told me that I dont need a new transmission, but I do have an internal problem. They are charging me $598 to pull and reinstall the transmission, not including the parts or any other labor to fix it. The rate is $98/hr. I found another place which wil charge me $300 for labor. I also found a JDM HX transmission for $250. Any suggestions what should I do before I get the HX installed. I would really want to have the EX tranny since I dont want to have the same problem in the future. If I replace it with the EX ECU and Tranny should it run fiine?
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

How can I find out whats is wrong with my car. is it tranny or ECU. Last week I went to a family frined then once I exited the car acted up. Fromt he stop light the car bog down and died. I pulled over and restarted the car. RPM goes up but car would not shift. I finally got ot my destitation, let it rest fro 3 hours. after that it work fine and even idles fine. drove it for 1 week no problem. Yesterday it acted up again. I pulled the battery terminal and same thing rpm just goes up. I finally got home let it rest for a while and pulled th ebatter and its running fine. what can it be Tranny or ecu?
Old 05-18-2009
Premium Member

sounds like a trans issue. ecu rarely goes bad. but there are so many things that can happen to just the trans, there are alot of sensors and solenoids. and the cvt is more complicated.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

I found a transmisison from http://www.attarco.com/index.php?mai...products_id=74 I'm ordering it today. any suggestions what should I do with the new transmission before I get it installed? and seals or filters? can I do the filter my self? how much cvt fluid do I need?
Old 05-18-2009
Premium Member

prolly around 3-4 qts of honda cvt trans fluid. i would def get a replacement filter kit and do that. and change any seals while installing like the axle seals that tend to leak. im not sure on the older hx, but newer ones came with a separate inline filter and cooler so you may want to replace that filter too.
Old 06-01-2009
Registered!!

HI Every1! I got my new transmission togethere with new axles, rear main seal, and axles seals. I went to honda and asked for the CVT fluid and filter, but honda said mine doesnt have any filter. So My mechanic got the tranny out and compared it. for some reason there is one slight diffrence. The one they sent me has a cable speed sensor, but the one on my car is electrical. we called the shop that I bought my transmisssion from and they said there should be no problem. please let me know if we can just switch this sensor. The mechanic pulled it out and the teeth of the cable is bigger than the one i have. What would happen if the speed sensor doesnt work> will it just affect my speedometer?

Last edited by gp78; 06-01-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-09-2009
Registered!!

rsanchez02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: 97 civic hx tranny shot

hey so what ever happened with your car and HX trans?

I have an automatic 1996 Honda Civic HX and just a couple of weeks ago the tranny gave out and my car turns on fine, but it doesnt move in any gear! Im planning on buying a regular NON-CVT tranmission from a 2000 Honda Civic VP that i found with only 89k miles for $250. Do you know if I will just be able to do the swap, or would I need to change other parts also since the civic was originally CVT?

any tips or advice would also be great!