6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Suspension drop with stock struts and shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbillakdsm is an unknown quantity at this point
Suspension drop with stock struts and shocks?

Hey guys and gals, I'm new so bear with me

I have a question about doing a suspension drop on my car. The previous owner just put brand new shocks and struts all the way around and I want to do a suspension drop, but I don't want to buy new shocks and struts since this was just done. I've definately decided on sleeved coilovers (Ground Control style) for the adjustability and I wanted to know which kits work with the stock shocks and struts. Also, if you have some horror stroies, let me know.
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Well if you want to get coilovers, you cant keep your stock springs on their, you remove them and put the new coilovers on. As with your struts, you will need to change them eventually because ground control coilovers and all other coilover are really not meant to be used with stock shocks because you can change your ride height and it puts alot of pressure on them. Your best bet would be find some good coilovers, preferably skunk2 or eibach, and get some good aftermarket struts like tokico or knoi. But if you want you can get lowering springs and those will work longer with your stock shocks because you dont have the ability to adjust them. they stay in one place. I have eibach sportlines on my car and I have had them on for about 3 months and the ride is great.
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
All lowering springs will work with the stock shocks, as well as the GC coilovers. However, in due time, those shocks will blow. Whether it be 1" or 4", its just a matter of time before they go. If you wanna save time and money. I suggest you get true coilovers such as tein basic/ss, b+g, or the new most raved about hayame coilovers. They are definetly more expensive than GC coilovers, but are worth it.
Old 01-23-2004
00 Hatchback Owner

Gryphin is an unknown quantity at this point
ground control is NOT a coil-over ARGH !!! it is a sleeve!!! true coil-overs are springs with a strut! like tein basic or tein super street!!! i say go with thoes for the best performance and looks! and if you want to put a little bit more money, you can get the ones you can control from inside your ride... kinda like air ride.. but not :-D
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

I agree that the TIEN or Hayame systems would be the best way to go, but I'm not really willing to put that type of money into the suspension package. This is kind of my "beater" car so it's not going to see the drag strip or autocross. I have a 92 Talon Tsi AWD that's built-up for that kind of fun. I just want something that is going to give me the look without turning a trip into torture. I also need the adjustability because of the area I live in. I thought that the sleeve-adjustable springs would be a nice compromise.
Old 03-01-2004
Registered!!

Noboody has any suggestions? What about a set of TIEN springs that only lower me like an inch or so. Does anyone have a drop like this on their car and how do you like it?
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

Yeah, I didn't know how the Civic suspension would hold up to changes like that. When I was thinking about the sleeved coilovers, I would have been leaving it at minimum drop most of the time and only dropping it once I had it parked at a show and then cranked back up before moving again.

I think I'm going to end up with the Eibach Pro-Kit or something with a similar level of drop. 1.3" will be enough to cover most of my wheel gap and still allow me to get around.
Old 03-03-2004
Registered!!

I've got a 94 EX 4 door. My car has all stock suspension right now and I've got about 1.5" of gap in the front and back right now. I just want to cover up my gap a little, if I don't tuck I'm not going to worry since the car has to be driveable on hills. I don't know if I'm going to be able to tuck anyways since my wheels are wide enough that they almost don't fit in the wheel well.
Old 03-05-2004
Registered!!

Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Lets say you have Ground Control sleeves with stock shocks for a year, if you replace the shocks do you think the springs are still good...do you think the tension would be fcuked. I need a real answer on this..I dont really feel like changing the whole sleeve to spend more money on wifeys car...one...
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

Huh, I had no idea that these aftermarket coils would wear out so fast. Does anyone know if there is one company that is more durable than another. I'm leaning towards TIEN since I've heard few bad things about them.
Old 03-08-2004
Registered!!

hmm, I'll have to take a look at them, thanks for the advice