Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

New clutch stopped working after 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dthell is an unknown quantity at this point
New clutch stopped working after 1/4 mile

Hi all I,m brand new to this forum. Here's what I Got.
2003 civic coupe Ex with 1.7 VTEC 5 speed with 215,000 miles
Son said it made a clunk noise while shifting from 2nd to 1st while coming to stop, then car would no longer move. Buddy tried to help and put it in first gear and saves it to 6000 grand or more to move and drive it.that way for a mile before it stopped moving. I tore it apart to find half of the clutch plate blew into pieces. Replaced flywheel, bearing in flywheel, pressure plate, clutch and throw out bearing . Drive car 1/2 mile and while shifting from 2nd to 1st it.made clunk noise and stopped moving.
If felt great up to that point. What the heck could cuase this. I have to look further I to this. My thoughts are. Is there a slave cylinder issue? DID the clutch blow the first time because my buddy pushed it after first malfunction and original problem went unresolved? Any thoughts would be greatly apprieated.
Thanks much
Old 07-21-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: New clutch stopped working after 1/4 mile

Originally Posted by Dthell
while shifting from 2nd to 1st while coming to stop
That statement is concerning because generally you should only shift a car from second to first when the car comes to a stop.

So let us just assume your son is “not” perfectly skilled at RPM matching that downshift, the shock load on the transmission added into normal wear and tear on the bearings might possibly cause enough warpage of the gear shafts that the entire transmission “locks” for a brief moment and that stress passes though the friction disc. I would expect that to sound like a bang not a clunk but that’s subjective.

On a 215k 17yr old clutch there would be enough fatigue that I could understand it falling apart with such a shock, on a brand new OEM - no, on a brand new anything else - possibly but highly unlikely.

There is no way the slave cylinder could “damage” the clutch beyond allowing it to slip.

Even if you didn’t torque down the flywheel and or pressure plate bolts those shouldn’t come apart that quickly.

Old 07-24-2019
Registered!!

Finally got a chance to dianoise the issue. I jacked up the front end and gave the left wheel a spin and right side didn t move I check both axles and found the right side had popped out. I removed the right axle and found the end splines stripped off just after the clip AKA bull ring. Using a magnet and flushing the transmission I got the small chips out most of them I believe. What ever the internal magnet didn't grab. Got an axle ordered up. Too be continued.....
Old 07-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Yuck!
Old 08-22-2019
Registered!!

ncc1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the first time I see similar thing happen. Also is the first time I hear that someone had shifted from second to first gear with the car in movement. I am from Brasil and mostly of cars here are manual trans so we are very used to them and we KNOW that you cannot do this.

You never should try to shift from second to first on a manual trans with the car in movement. Actually, since the first gear is NOT synchronized with the rest of gears, you won't manage to engage the first gear this way unless you use a LOT of strength and FORCE it in. I am really not surprised that you guys had broken it twice and still more surprised that you didn't break something else in the gearbox and/or didn't bent the shifter fork.

Old 02-21-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ncc1966
This is the first time I see similar thing happen. Also is the first time I hear that someone had shifted from second to first gear with the car in movement. I am from Brasil and mostly of cars here are manual trans so we are very used to them and we KNOW that you cannot do this.

You never should try to shift from second to first on a manual trans with the car in movement. Actually, since the first gear is NOT synchronized with the rest of gears, you won't manage to engage the first gear this way unless you use a LOT of strength and FORCE it in. I am really not surprised that you guys had broken it twice and still more surprised that you didn't break something else in the gearbox and/or didn't bent the shifter fork.

I can shift this this all day from 2nd into 1st. With proper engine rpm's she glides right on in to 1st. I understand where you are coming from though. 10,000 miles on the new clutch with new right trans axle all going well. Thanks everyone for you in put.
Old 02-26-2020
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...why not shift to neutral and brake to a stop? Lol

I only rev match and down shift to speed up, not to slow down.
Old 02-26-2020
Registered!!

I agree with ya, thx