7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virtaullyinsane is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing belt

A mechanic did a head gasket job on my 97 Civic. After words car was running high idle and not shifting on time. I looked at the timing belt it’s of by 2 teeth. He said you can have a 5 tooth variance if you adjust the distributor. Has any one heard of this
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: Timing belt

even if you can still rotate the distributor and get the ignition timing correct, the valve timing will be off, as your valves are now opening and closing at the wrong time. to make matters worse, your fuel injectors will spray at a valve that has not yet opened or is already starting to close. it makes no sense a mechanic would say that. maybe a "parts changer"
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Not sure what your saying.

I read this as you took car back to the mechanic who checked and saw the timing belt was off by two tteeth and instead of fixing it, he fiddled with the distributor, told you a jargon filled story about how it’s okay and sent you on your way and you noticed it’s still driving like crap?

Or did you just call him on the phone?

Find the owner of the shop, tell him what happened and you want the car put back together correctly.
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Virtaullyinsane
He said you can have a 5 tooth variance if you adjust the distributor. Has any one heard of this

uuummm.....no.....absolutely not

ANY tooth variance is unacceptable
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

I got the car from him he works from home , did the head gasket job and put a new radiator in. I picked it up and I could tell that it was a lil off. I just figured I was being parinoid , but two days later I knew and checked the timing belt myself and saw it.
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

do you think he cleaned the block/head properly or used a torque wrench on the head bolts? or checked if the head was even flat? that sucks. i'd be over there in a lawn chair with a 12 pack watching him fix it by now
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Well now with bolts I know the D series are re usable. He said that the ones in there weren’t the Honda bolts and they where stretched. I said ok well I want ARp studs for the replacement . From further investigation they look like just bolts to me. He is a friend of a good work buddy of mine so I trusted. Lesson learnt
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

haha yeah man, definitely not studs. not ARP bolts either from the looks of it, hope he didn't charge you for ARP studs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	112123

well i hope once you get the belt lined up right it runs well, and keeps running well for a long time anyhow.
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

He charged me $220 bucks . I told him in the begging I could go to O Riley’s in Bellingham get Arp for $180 Usd and bring them to him. He said he ordered some ughhh Been had.
Old 04-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

going by the last picture in post #5 it looks like it is one tooth off,

that is assuming you have the crank lined up properly
Old 04-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

He said you can have a 5 tooth variance if you adjust the distributor. Has any one heard of this
Only from hack mechanics whom I wouldn't let tie my shoes.