7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird electrical/ misfire issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dekk70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird electrical/ misfire issue

Sorry for the long post but I want to be thorough. I'm new to these cars. Bought my 05 HX a few months ago for the fuel mileage and now I'm running into a problem I cannot find.
It all started when i screwed up and forgot to put the radiator cap back on. I made it to work without issue but on the way home it started blowing steam out of the hood and overheated. I shut it down ASAP and cruised to the shoulder. I poured in a few half empty bottles of water I had laying in the car and tried to start it and it would not. Kept looking for issues and couldnt find anything so finally I closed the hood and called for a ride. Just for kicks I thought id try to start it and it fired right up. As I limped it the 2 miles to the next town for more coolant it was missing like crazy. Got to the store and added about a half gallon of coolant and went to start it to try to work any air bubbles out and it would not. Remembering the hood issue I closed it and it fired right up but when I popped the hood the idle went up and was uneven. I finished topping it up and closed the hood and it went to normal. As I drove home it still had the bad misfire but about 20 min in it cleaned up. I figured something was just wet and causing an issue and dried up.
This morning I left for work and it was missing again so i turned back to try to fix it. I cant find anything. Later in the day i went for a ride and it ran fine. then a couple hours later i left again and it ran terribly and several lights on the cluster flash when it is missing. So does anyone have any clue what i could be looking at.
Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Weird electrical/ misfire issue

As you noted you had steaming hot glycol under pressure hose down your entire engine.

Time to get 3 cans of electrical contact cleaner ($3 can at Walmart) and disconnect and clean every connector in the engine bay.

Be sure to unbolt the grounds and clean them too.

Last edited by Slumpertcivic; 03-20-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2018
Registered!!

I will give that a shot tomorrow after work. I was thinking about it today and is it possible its a distributor issue, alternator, or ecu shorting out. This car has been great for me but now it seems a stupid mistake is giving me a lot of fits.
Old 03-22-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

no distributor on these cars, coil packs could be damaged though
Old 03-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dekk70
Remembering the hood issue I closed it and it fired right up but when I popped the hood the idle went up and was uneven. I finished topping it up and closed the hood and it went to normal.
If opening and closing the hood changes the behavior of the car then you have a grounding issue.

Again clean all the contacts and especially clean the harness and body grounds at the thermostat housing.
Old 03-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Not good. I hope you didn’t damage your engine when it overheated. I’d pull the coil packs out and dry them off. Make sure the spark plug tubes are dry too. Coolant might have gotten in the spark plug tubes and might be causing a short, killing the spark.
Old 03-26-2018
Registered!!

I went through everything with a can of contact cleaner and took apart, cleaned up and reattached the grounds and it seems to be back to normal. thanks for the help yall
Old 03-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dekk70
I went through everything with a can of contact cleaner and took apart, cleaned up and reattached the grounds and it seems to be back to normal. thanks for the help yall
I’m glad it’s running good again.