7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Head Gasket & Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017
I thought it said HYUNDAI.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wakko is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Head Gasket & Timing Belt

I browsed his thread for sure. No, I'm not planning a valve job unless absolutely necessary.

RE: Back seals, I don't even know what they are...just figured if I was there I'd replace them.

The oil pump is leaking very badly. When I bought the car for him, I knew little of Hondas and ASSumed it was going to be an easy oil leak to fix, only to find out it was the pump seal. I have no idea if the oil pan is leaking, but if that can be done at a later date independant of this big job, then I can hold off and see if it needs it. I will definitely do the solenoid and valve seals too.

Kid needs the car ready to go in a couple of weeks, I'm in the middle of moving and just had a baby, so my time (and money) is short as it is. He's a good kid, smart, but still a typical Fast and Furious loving 16 year old. If he got two years out of the car without A) crashing it B) blowing something up, I'd be happy. He and his mom are in a tough bind financially, and he's about to start college classes, so all of this (including the purchase price of the car) is out of my pocket until they can pay me back. We changed the window regulator and exterior door handle together, which was good buddy time, but in the interest of time, I'll be doing this job mostly solo as I can get outside for an hour or two at a time.
Old 07-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you are removing the oil pump, the oil pan is coming off to do it.
Name:  vzEbGxZ.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  4.35 MBName:  rklOkGV.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  718.6 KB

Back seals are #5 and 6, they fit between the head and the inner timing cover.
I've never replaced them LOL

Vtec gaskets, first one is called the filter and is easily found in a parts catalog
FILTER ASSY., SPOOL VALVE
# 15825-P2M-005

Second gasket is this for the upper section of the valve (the solenoid), the only way to find it is to go back several years to about 1995 to find the part number:

Name:  kBA217Z.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  62.3 KB

GASKET, SOLENOID BASE
Part# : 36172-P08-015

still a typical Fast and Furious loving 16 year old. If he got two years out of the car
I was kinda thinking you can cut more corners if the car isn't going to last another 100k.
is out of my pocket until they can pay me back.
I've done plenty of stuff like this for both of my GFs kids.
Old 07-09-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP: download or buy a service manual and follow along for headgasket replacement. Also, the video below has very good advice:

Old 07-10-2017

Originally Posted by Megalodong
OP: download or buy a service manual and follow along for headgasket replacement. Also, the video below has very good advice:
Wow, that's a great video. I've never used a torque angle gauge before...guess I'll add that to the tool chest.
Old 07-10-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wakko
Wow, that's a great video. I've never used a torque angle gauge before...guess I'll add that to the tool chest.
Let me save you a few more bucks: Forget it.

If you grab your service manual and actually read it long before starting the job, you should be able to determine this particular job will not be using that particular tool.

A normal torque wrench is what you will need for the head bolts.
Hopefully one that is somewhat accurate.
Old 07-10-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Let me save you a few more bucks: Forget it.

If you grab your service manual and actually read it long before starting the job, you should be able to determine this particular job will not be using that particular tool.

A normal torque wrench is what you will need for the head bolts.
Hopefully one that is somewhat accurate.
I didn't use an angle gauge and I didn't use a thread chaser. Just sprayed block holes with brake cleaner, suctioned out with with shop vac rigging, then follow up by blowing compressed air. I used new head bolts 10 for $25 from HondaPartsNow on me old 6th gen. OP when you read the service manual it will show you the torque specs, torque sequence and torque steps (3).

Dude in video IMO is one of the best on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattshadetree/videos

Last edited by Wankenstein; 07-10-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2017

Where do I find this "service manual" of the gods?
Old 07-10-2017

Originally Posted by Wakko
Where do I find this "service manual" of the gods?
The Almighty Search Bar.
Old 07-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlowboyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Having an 05 civic ex about to reach 200k miles. Can I do preventative maintenance by replacing the head gasket even though it's still good? Or would it be a waste of money?
Old 07-11-2017

Originally Posted by SlowboyZ
Having an 05 civic ex about to reach 200k miles. Can I do preventative maintenance by replacing the head gasket even though it's still good? Or would it be a waste of money?
That's entirely up to you, your budget, your time, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't unless there was some reason or other major work being done...but I also tend to be more observant than the average car owner so I believe I could catch a problem long before it became catastrophic.

Right now (among other big jobs to be done) I've got a 04 Civic at work that lunched its timing belt and bent a small fortune in valves..... I wrote up several possible ways to go about fixing it......One possible version is obtaining a used engine, PLUS replacing the timing belt and head gasket before installing in the car......
...... simply because so many do need it and a lot of these cars are going to the boneyards with a bad head gasket because the cost of the head gasket job it needed was more than the car was worth.
Old 07-12-2017

Originally Posted by SlowboyZ
To add to what Ezone said...preventative maintenance to reduce risk of a head gasket breech includes inspecting all coolant system hoses (including heater hoses) for deterioration, weak/thin spots, bulging...especially where the hoses attach to the engine. From my experience I feel it's good practice to replace all coolant and heater hoses at the 100k mile mark. Hoses can last longer than that but for the $125 or so it cost to replace them it's cheap maintenance considering how long they last.

Also, check the coolant pH balance every year. If it's been a few years or you don't know when the last coolant drain and fill was that's a good place to start to help prevent head gasket issues. Pentosin Pentofrost A3 (blue dye) 50/50 antifreeze mix is suitable for 7th gen Honda's.

One more thing to add that you may already know is, if it overheats pull over, turn off engine and set climate control to max heat and turn blower fan on. This will help cool the engine faster.
Old 07-12-2017

^The head gasket in 7th gens can still blow no matter if you do preventive stuff mentioned above or completely ignore it. Many of them blew long before any maintenance would have been needed.

No, I'm not discounting the need for service and preventive maintenance....just sayin.

Right now (among other big jobs to be done) I've got a 04 Civic at work that lunched its timing belt and bent a small fortune in valves
It won't even run....and sales took it in on trade today on a new Civic LOL
Old 07-12-2017

It won't even run....and sales took it in on trade today on a new Civic LOL
Is there enough value in it to repair It?
Old 07-12-2017

Visually it looks like a rolling dumpster fire that doesn't even roll on its own.
It's what, at best a 1000 car if it runs? Over 150k, one fender was replaced and never painted--a patina of rust, busted windshield, the interior has that "lived in" look and smell

I heard they wrote it down for 500 on the trade in. I got a feeling it won't be fixed in our shop, it will go to a local car lot or straight to the crusher.
Old 07-13-2017

Visually it looks like a rolling dumpster fire that doesn't even roll on its own.
It's what, at best a 1000 car if it runs? Over 150k, one fender was replaced and never painted--a patina of rust, busted windshield, the interior has that "lived in" look and smell

I heard they wrote it down for 500 on the trade in. I got a feeling it won't be fixed in our shop, it will go to a local car lot or straight to the crusher.
Or possibly auction?
Old 07-16-2017

Forgive my density, but it's 4:14 in the morning and I'm finishing up a 12 hour shift and need to get this order in ASAP. In lieu of ordering the HG kit, what gasket do I need? Are there any of the parts that can be replaced with aftermarket that are 1) equivalent and 2) worth doing to save the coin? My parts order is still $397 on HPU.com. I read that the Aisin water pumps are GTG, as are the Mitsuboshi belts, but OEM tensioner is a must, as is the actual HG. I picked up a 12 hour OT shift tomorrow to pay for the parts, at the cost of spending time with my 1 month old. Sigh.
Old 07-16-2017

In lieu of ordering the HG kit, what gasket do I need?
Depends on what is taken apart.....and how much you think you can get away with reusing.

Rubber gaskets that have hardened or are known problems get replaced.
I sometimes reuse steel gaskets and silicone gaskets (if they aren't damaged) out of necessity (because they weren't available in time). I have reused intake gaskets and exhaust manifold gaskets, and if I took off the water passage housing I'd coat the steel gasket with Permatex #3 Aviation sealer (my fave for sealing gaskets for coolant), or Permatex High Tack.

My parts order is still $397 on HPU.com.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

Step back and think about how long this car is going to realistically last in the hands of a teenager.... What does it absolutely need to fix the problems right now, vs. what could be postponed until later ---- say if the car makes it past two years in the kids hands and he still wants to keep it for another # of years or miles?
Old 07-16-2017

It needs the timing belt and related items, the HG of course, and the oil pump gasket. Other than that, there's nothing significantly wrong with the car. I have no idea how old the clutch is, so I expect that to be the next big thing to go, and I have no intention of changing that on my own.
Old 07-16-2017

There are a few different ways the head gasket job could be done........and you don't yet know for sure if the head will have to be completely stripped to be resurfaced....so you could do a teardown, make a list of gaskets and parts you will definitely need as you go.

After you have received the cylinder head back from the machine shop, you should be able to tell exactly what you will need to put it all together.

16yo with a clutch? Oh noes. Hope he learned how from someone who knows how to make a clutch last as long as the car.
Old 07-17-2017

16yo with a clutch? Oh noes. Hope he learned how from someone who knows how to make a clutch last as long as the car.
Vin Diesel showed him how to drive. And I'm only partially exaggerating. On the few outings we got with the car before it went poo-poo, I showed him the art of a gentle shift and gentle start. Considering how slow these cars are, I'm hoping that he'll get some of the "racing" out of his system earlier than later, before killing the clutch. If he DOES kill the clutch, it's out of his pocket, and that'll make nearly anyone respect it in the future. I figure that'd be a hard job to do in the garage, so I wouldn't be offering to do it with him.
Old 07-17-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

DIY clutch isnt too bad, easier than the head gasket and timing belt in my opinion. I did my clutch and swapped the tranny in a day in my driveway, and that was a first for me
Old 07-26-2017

Well, she's all fixed up. Head gasket was blown at 2 and 3, head needed machining but lower end was fine. Water pump was still tight with a supple gasket, but naturally replaced it anyway. Timing cover was in bad shape with a crack, and the oil pump seal was harder than a 14 year old with a Playboy. Radiator was good, thermostat changed to be safe. Even in the South Florida heat with the A/C on, idled for over two hours without a hiccup, temperature stays under 1/2way. Not a drop of oil left on the driveway. Kid's happy and cruising around, already saved up the $300 to get a couple new tires on the back end next week. Hopefully she's good for another 113k miles, as I'm broke! A/C quit in my pickup last week ($450 later) and the house ($5600 later) and the 5 week old adds to the mix. Life's good! First world problems.