7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driver-side Door Lock Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf170089 is an unknown quantity at this point
Driver-side Door Lock Stuck

Hey all. So, I am having trouble with my driver-side lock. I have a bad feeling that I will need to pull off the door panel and get to the guts of it. I am hoping to avoid this :-).

But, here are some of the conditions:

1. When locking and unlocking the door using the switch on the inside, everything (all 4 door locks) works fine.

2. When using the key on the driver-side door, all 4 door locks work (how I now ensure all the doors are locked). The key also unlocks the driver-side door just fine.

3. If all 4 x doors are locked, the remote does not work to unlock any of the doors. I can hear and see the locks struggle. If I unlock only the driver-side door (using the key, keeping the other 3 doors locked), the other doors unlock just fine using the remote.

4. If all 4 x doors are unlocked, the remote will lock three doors, except for the driver-side door. In order to lock the driver-side door, I either have to use the key or use the manual switch inside the car.

Does anyone happen to have any advice on getting the driver-side lock "unstuck" without pulling apart the door? Thanks!!
Old 09-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driver-side Door Lock Stuck

Using the button on the door, all 4 locks work together.
Using remote, all 4 lock together. WHen unlocking, drivers door unlocks first then other 3 unlock.
If keyless entry system cannot 'see' driver door was unlocked it will keep repeating trying to unlock drivers door.

I'd probably pull the door panel and use a voltmeter to determine if the system is still trying to operate the power lock in that door after the motor quits, and that it is supplying full system voltage (and full ground).

Got other electrical issues that could be traced to MICU? Dome lights, AC inop, dash warning lights, illuminated entry, etc?
Old 09-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf170089 is an unknown quantity at this point

ezone, thanks for the quick response and the advice. It led me to some other symptoms.

When sitting in the car, using the button on the door, all 4 doors lock. However, using the little switch on the door, only 3 of the 4 doors lock (driver side does not).

When all 4 doors are unlocked, using the remote only locks 3 of the 4 doors (not the driver side)

When all 4 doors are locked, using the remote unlocks none.

I hear the actuator in the driver door trying to work and I see slight movement in the lock, but it just doesn't work.

I think whatever the cause, it looks like I am going to have to pull off the panel. I have been watching videos on it and it actually looks pretty easy.

Thanks again!!
Old 09-13-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the drivers door power lock motor may work the very first time, then quit after the first try. If you still measure full 12v and full ground in the connection for the power lock, then the actuator is deemed bad.

Bad/weak power lock actuator is quite common as they age. Expect others to slowly fail as time goes on.

Some weak ones may work 2 or 3 or 5 times in a row before quitting.

Even good ones will quit after being operated a couple dozen or more times in a row as the little electric motors heat up. Then work normally again after cooling off.
Old 09-14-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

01-05 ??

Sounds like weak drivers actuator.